Town Hall Imperial Stout
     click to upload

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 4.06/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -
Editor's note: this is the Czar Jack Imperial Stout before it is put into bourbon casks.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jazz88 (2542) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 22, 2006
Tap on 10/28/2005 (rating from notes). Black color with a brown head. Deep dark fruity aroma, rich chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and slighly roasted coffee flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - NOV 16, 2005
This was a litle more complex than the Czar Jack as the flavors sood out more.The only problem is that it seemed a little thinner on the palate.Nice sense of espresso, molasses and chocolate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3657) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - OCT 31, 2005
Tar/pitch appearance with some brown and a dark cream head. Notes of vanilla, milk, light chocolate, roasted malts, Fritos-brand corn chips, and Double Spearmint gum. A grape note is very subdued. The flavor has more smoke than the aroma and I could feel the alcohol up my nose. A deep bitterness rounds out the finish. It is of moderate thickness, being acceptable but not exceptional for mouthfeel. (on tap at brewpub)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2188) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - OCT 29, 2005
Enjoyed during THs anniversary celebration. I was told this is the 2004, non bourbon barrell aged Czar Jack. I believe this is the version I had at the 2004 Great Taste of the Midwest, from which I was the 1st Ratebeerian to rate the original Czar Jack. To my knowledge to effort was made on THs part to distinguish the subsequent barrel aged Czar Jack from the original and therefore, my original rating, I have just come to find out, is technically based upon a different brew. Therefore, I am unsure as to whether this version warrants a separate beer entry. For now I will rate it, and well see what we can do about perhaps making this the Czar Jack and making the the other the Bourbon Barrel Aged Czar Jack. Not as heavy an aroma as the last outstanding Imp. Stout I had, Bells Batch 7000. This is more fruity and has defininite chalk notes. Opaque body and tan head. Outstanding lace. Definitely more elegant and refined than Batch 7000. This is a wonderful brew; so wonderful, I ordered a second one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
badgerben (4385) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2005
Town Hall 8th Anniversary, Thursday surprise release: Imagine my joy upon seeing this listed under the Seasonals section! Woo hoo! Color is black as death with no head. The aroma was pretty hard to pin down. It had some vanilla or coffee hints, but a small trail of that Windex quality and not in a terrible way. Dry and slightly bitter taste up front. Predominantly chocolate with a pinch of coffee. The alcohol is completely hidden. This is a pretty damn fine treat before it hits the barrels!