Town Hall Kristall Weizen
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 3.21/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
German style wheat beer made in a very similar way to Hefeweizen. The primary difference is that this beer is filtered, transforming it to a brilliant crystal clear beer. The characteristic thirst quenching flavors of Hefeweizen are still a major component, but they are muted and the beer is very smooth. A beer style that has gained popularity in Austria.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElGaucho (2222) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2005
Expectations. I had relatively low expectations for this beer from what I read in the description and what I understand from the style. An unfiltered hefeweizen sounds to me like you are taking all the good stuff, like flavor, out. But make no mistake, this brew has plenty of flavor. It has a Wow factor at first swallow. Very nice, sweet, slightly wheaty aroma with some fruit notes. Does not smell like a hefe. Slightly hazy, but otherwise clear light gold body. Nice, white head that is mostly diminishing. No lace. Wow! Flavor explodes on the tongue at 1st sip. Doughy; great session quality. Doesn’t taste filtered at all. Wonderful balance and complexity. Has some clove and banana notes. Very impressive brew. This is my 1st Kristal Weizen; I have a feeling it will be tough to beat. I look forward to trying Weihenstephaner’s offering and comparing. I see that my fondness of this brew is not really shared by my co-raters and two buddies that were with me who tried it didn’t really like it either. But, they are largely macro drinkers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
nuplastikk (4570) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 13, 2010
Draft at Town Hall. Filtered pale golden-yellow color. Almost a hint of green in it’s irridescence. Steady thin white head. Classic deep brewhouse tones, with a spicy, peppery hop edge. Malty doughy malt tones. Rich and yeasty, despite the filtering. Impressively true to style, above par all the way. Lots of banana wheat in the finish. Well rounded. Medium bodied, almost approaches full in it’s depth of character. Quite big for the style, great stuff.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2005
I must agree with badgerben that there is a certain element of solvent in this one. However, I feel I must come to the aid of this uncomplicated rye-smelling and lavender-palating treat. I believe that I could fall in love with this style, mainly because I don’t understand it and the only other kind I’ve had is Weihenstephaner’s Kristallweissbier (sorry for the spelling). Not a bad mid-sessioner, and it really helped me cruise through grading some of my students’ papers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 11, 2007
Golden Color with White Skin. Light Citrus, Coriander with Thick Yeast and Spice Aroma. Medium Bodied..Lightly Carbonated..Creamy Mouthfeel. Sweet Breaded Flavor with Fruit and Spices Intermingling...Most Notably Coriander...Making for a Balanced Sweetness. Sweet Lightly Dry Aftertaste. Very Nice...Although Seems Thicker Bodied Than Other Kristalls I Have Tried.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 7, 2005
I’m not normally leading the cheers on this style, as I like the hefe with my weizen, but have to admit this won me over. Crystal clear, honeyed yellow appearance, under a slim, soon-gone head...whoops, where’d it go? Aroma, sweet, honeyish, light fruit, sly hops...very pretty. Taste: what was gleaned in the nose appears anew on the tongue. Slides smoothly down the palate, glides on the tongue and rolls down the gullet. Light/medium body, untroubled texture, nice wheaten taste, but dominated by a sweetness that remains unabated. Very clean and esily to toss back, with the sweet and the citric ringing through in every gulp. Lemon and honey hanging around in the mouth, bringing nothing but happiness. I like it, I like it...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2007
On tap, a clear golden with an off-white head, nice lacing. Slightly weak aroma, citrus hops with a little wheat, light banana as well. Decent sweetness, barely noticable bitterness. Solid.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tyler_mn (1475) - SLP, Minnesota, USA - SEP 15, 2007
On tap at the brewpub. Mild aroma of banana and clove spice. Pours a bright gold. Tastes like a light hefe. Some wheat and banana sweetness, but slightly muted. Medium bodied with good carbonation. A lot fuller bodied and richer than I expected.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mattyb83 (737) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 15, 2010
On tap. Pours clear golden with a small head. Aroma of clove spice with a light amount of banana. Flavor is wheaty,pretty fruity, with banana and clove which last through to the finish. Pretty light throughout, but pretty solid none the less.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JK (4522) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - SEP 7, 2005
Dark gold coloring, and only a little cloudy due to the filtration. Light wheat aroma. Light hefeweizen flavor; medium sweet wheat, a touch of citrus, with some sourness in the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 6, 2007
On tap at Town Hall. Grainy yellow color with faint white head. Floral grainy hop with barely perceptible wheat. Tastes like a light Thunderstorm.