overall

RATINGS: 454   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 6, 2004
Perfect deep amber/bronze color, a great, milk-shakey froth, with tapioca-esque bubbling, atop. Aroma: intense citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, and pine, sharp, lively, and highly appealing hoppiness, all from Cascade, by the way. It's a powerful and potent nose, and I like to drink it in more, before I start to sip. Hops are the main ingredient on board the palate, of course, bitter, yes, but ever-so-tasty, and it's all over the mouth. Medium body, impressive mouthfeel, never-ending hop presense, just enough malt to back it up, with a long, sticky, delicious finish. Mmmm! The Mama gives and gives and asks little in return but your gratitude and appreciation, and that you return to drink of her again, not a hard promise to keep, I assure you. My favorite beer, one I've grown to adore over the years and return to again and again. Hopheads of the world, Minneapolis beckons!

Glouglouburp (5929) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 22, 2009
In short: An incredibly intense ďsmallĒ IPA focussing of intense foresty dry bitterness. Very tasty dry. A fantastic beer. My desert Island American hops fix.
How: Growler, a million thanks to oakbuff (Scott) for this unexpected gem. Drank fresh the day I received it
The look: Clear shinning golden copper body topped by a medium off-white head
In long: Enchanting strong nose of resinous and foresty hops. A very big body for such a small IPA. The toasty caramelized malts sweetness are quickly taken over by a very tasty intense bitterness and a surprisingly dry finish. Very resinous with coniferous bark. The pine tree flavour is very dry and feels like chewing on dried pine needles with the juice sucked out. Very light on the fruity side with only hints of dried fruit peels (orange, citrus). A little fluffy and dusty. The dryness of this IPA is off the chart. This beer is more intense than most 9% Imperial IPAs but is more refreshing and highly drinkable. Clearly one of the best hop-fix Iíve ever had and without any doubt the best below 7% hop-fix I have had. It may not have the intensity of the best IIPAs out there (Dreadnaught, etc.) but I cannot think of an American (I)IPA Iíd like to drink more often. As much as I love the stronger IIPAs if I had to chose only one American hoppy beer to drink for the rest of my life it would be this one. Hence the perfect score. Too bad itís only available on tap. Growlers are expensive to ship and shipping price from USA is proportional to the weight. Itís a good thing for Americans that this pricing rule doesnít apply to plane tickets.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
hero27 (19) - Iowa, USA - AUG 14, 2006
Sampled on-cask at the brewery on July 3rd, 2005... On my visit to the legendary Town Hall Brewery, I was expecting nothing short of the best from this beer. IPAs are my favorite style, so I figured I had better try the beer some label as the "best" IPA in the world. Well, I can honestly say that after trying it, it set the bar....and set the bar pretty damn high. I was lucky enough to sample this legendary concoction in itís purest form...on-cask, at the brewery. Also, considering the ridiculous hype that surrounds this beer, I was amazed with how impressed I really was. Out of the hand-pump, the bubbles cascade beautifully up & down in the hazy orange brew. When it finally settles down, the head sits proudly atop a beer that essentially looks like perfection in a glass. The aroma from this brew is incredible...as rich and aromatic as any IPA Iíve ever had. The lacing is the best Iíve seen on a beer to date..entire rings of sticky lacing form on every sip...Iíve never seen anything quite like it before. Then thereís the taste..how many hop varieties they use, I do not know...but whatever the recipe is, I want it. Not too bitter, not too sweet..just perfectly well-balanced and smooth. Iím sure being on-cask helped with the smoothness, but Iíve never had a beer that went down as good as this one did. Itís just a damn good thing I donít live in Minneapolis, thatís all I have to say.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
kmpitz2 (21) - Tennessee, USA - MAR 10, 2005
I had this at a tasting I blindly stumbled upon over the labor day weekend. This was poured from half gallon growler into a wine tasting glass. The color was a nice rich amber with a very decent head and carb bubble. The nose was staggeringly good. The hops came through piney and earthy with a citrusy grapefruit background. I had to actually stop myself from smelling it to taste it. The flavor matched the nose very well. The piney hop took center stage, supported with a sweet grapefruit backdrop. The hop flavor didnít linger, but instead, the aftertaste was sweet and mellow. This was a thick feeling beer, but just about where I wanted it for what it is. Unfortunately for me, I was actually dressed for and on my way to a wedding so I only had the one small sample glass, but I could easily have taken the growler with me and sat in the back of the church annointing myself with this most holy beverage. I am going to have to try and get a growler of this sometime.

tennisjoel (1154) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - AUG 3, 2005
On tap. The aroma is floral and piney. Dominated by hops, this is truly one of the best IPAís Iíve ever tried. Very easy going down. Nice job, Town Hall!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rajendra82 (933) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - NOV 18, 2005
From the Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery located in the Twin Cities, this growler came to me via BA feloniousmonk. The seal had obviously held up, as the beer came out with a nicely swirling fine carbonation forming a lace bearing eggshell white head, which was thin, but rich. The beer itself was rather clear, with an attractive copper amber color, which was a shade darker than the run of the mill IPA. The aroma was very good at the time of the pour, and got better as the beer warmed up. The smell was that of flowery, spicy, and citric hops, that were strong without being over the top. The sweet honeysuckle smell of the underlying malt base was permitted to shine through faintly as well.

Taste was unabashedly bitter and peppery with no qualms about the hyper hopped nature of the drink. The malts were caramel, and only there to prop up the hop fireworks going on in my mouth. I love when a brewer self assuredly brews a beer to take its rightful place in the world, and this is a mighty example of this. The soft tropical mouthfeel, dry palette, and leafy bitter aftertaste, all go on paint a cohesive and harmonious picture. I no longer thought a single IPA could wow me, but this one does. Utterly spectacular.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Erdinger2003 (127) - West Union, Iowa, USA - DEC 23, 2007
When poured it has a cloud, not unlike a guiness, then it becomes crisp with a great foamy head that doesnít fall and a lacing thatís unbelieveably stuck. It has a golden orange color. The smell is strong and elegant with fruity tones. The malty tones are creamy and soft. The smell is very strong. The taste is creamy and flavorful, bready and fruity with a hoppy aftertaste that isnít invasive. I tasted a little wateryness, but unsure if thatís just a cask conditioned ale. The mouthfeel is unbelievable, itís smooth and creamy like silk, just great. I would definetly drink this once a week if I had the chance, but there are not many beers I could have everyday.

markgugs (86) - Wood Ridge, New Jersey, USA - FEB 20, 2008
poured from a growler into a pint glass, thanks to LordSloth for the trade (consumed: 2/15/08) A: Pours a beautiful, rich copper with a fast-rising creamy off-white head that lasts forever and a day and immediately begins to leave sticky spiderweb lacing. The beerís clarity is also worth nothing, I could read a novel through this if I wasnít so preoccupied with getting it into my belly. S: Mmmm...hops! My best guess is Cascade or Centennial, or a combination of the both of them, as pine & citric grapefruit scents are dominant. Not to be outdone though, there is a very nice cookie/bread malt character here as well. T/M: I was expecting to be smashed in the taste buds with hops right up front, but an unexpected initial burst of sweet bready malts begins the journey, then followed by a smack of bitter citric hops, with a deliciously bitter grapefruit finish. Perfect levels of carbonation make this seem like a cream soda, the oils from the hops coat the tongue and leave your palate wanting more. D: All I will say is that I wish like hell I had this beer available to me 24/7. Highest recommendation.

MBrausen (69) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 15, 2012
Poured on tap at Town Hall Brewery into a pint glass. A. 1.5 finger thick head, golden red hue, soft for ring ever after sitting S. Smells sweet, grape fruit, pine and lots of citrus T. The tastes is sweet, slightly bready, a tiny bit bitter like grapefruit, and a little bit tart. Light pine overtone. M. Medium body, mildly chewy with a very wet finish. Very easy to drink O. This is a great beer. A go-to anytime IPA for me. I could drink this every weekend. Wait! I do! Great flavor and easy to drink keeps you coming back for more

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 22, 2004
Pours a dark hazy amber with a medium foamy white head. Aroma has more going on than most I(1)PA's. Yeah it's got the typical citrusy hops and crisp notes that your average IPA has, but it does have more of them. What sets this one apart from other IPA's I've had is the notes of cinnamon and nutmeg that are hanging out just above the surface. Slightly bready too so its like a snickerdoodle cookie, or a sweet dessert bread smothered in fresh citrus fruit. Wonderful stuff. The flavor comes through with some great clean crisp citrus fruit and fruit rinds, but that isn't what impresses me. What impresses me is the bready backbone that pushes the flavor and accelerates it. This isn't what I expected when I went to try it, no way. This isn't a brew that is satisfied with showing off with all kinds of hops, no she's balanced, she's hip, she's got more going on than you thought she did when you ordered her. She's intimidating all of a sudden, she likes to take charge. Before you know it, she'll have you tied up to a bed with a blindfold on. Or maybe that's just me.