Town Hall Retreating Darkness

(RETIRED)
Town Hall Retreating Darkness
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 15   MEAN: 3.71/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Another beer made with Peace Coffee. Dark and rich American Black Ale with distinct coffee, earthy, smoky, roasty notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joebrew (608) - Farewell Minny; Hello Puyallup, Washington, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Pours a jet black, and the nose is dominated by cofee. The nose also has some hints of chocolate, and a little floral bite. The mouthfeeel is like a chocolate covered espresso bean. The coffe is more present in this beer than any other I have tried, but they pull it off. This is definately not a beer for a coffee hater, but if you love a good espresso this is a must try.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Tap @ BP. A very nice coffee beer. Not overdone w/ coffee, as many are. Subtle coffee undertones w/o any perceivable bitterness from the coffee. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
badgerben (4407) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - JAN 20, 2007
Black color with a fairly thick head that takes a while to collapse. Not as strong a coffee aroma that I had expected considering Town Hallís track record on coffee beers, but itís definitely there. A bit of sugar, too. The taste, to me, is really all coffee. Itís not bad at all, but I donít get chocolate, roasted malt, hops, or anything else from this beer. Bitterness sure, but I think itís from the coffee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Stine (1584) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 16, 2007
I admit this one threw me for a loop as well. It reminded me a bit of a foreign stout like Lion, with its milky, sort of candied dark sugar flavor. Aroma is all coffee, very dark, very earthy and charred. Bits of cherry and sour milk in there too. Subdued cocoa and the generally soapy, astringent qualities of French roast are most apparent. Medium bodied brew that is a generally quiet and understated choice for winter enjoyment. Man, it just really reminds me of Lion Stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 15, 2007
Hoops, you consarned ornery so-and-so! Once again, a brew we just canít peg! Thereís no slot for "American Black Ale", or any kind of black ale, it ainít a brown, and thereís no specific designation for a coffee beer available, so Iím filing this under porter, just to get it over with! Another team-up with PEace Coffee, this time using Sumatran French Roast beans. "Retreating Darkness", though, sounds like a wishful thinking type of name for the dead of winter. Anyway, letís drink it... Dark, dark color, nearly black, showing some slight transparency near the bottom, with a big, espresso-esque, toasted tan head. Aroma is a monster, loud and proud, rich, roasty, earthy, as coffee as youíre gonna get. Wow. Gorgeous. If you love coffee, like me, youíre in heaven. Iíve smelling this too long, gonna have to actually start drinking it! Big flavor, big mouthfeel, nothing but coffee and black malts. Thick presence in the mouth, but lushly textured, and surprisingly refreshing. Certainly not a porter, though I really canít think of where else I could have placed this one. I say, "who cares?" Rich, roasty, some mild cocoa notes, and, yes, slightly smoky, as well. And really damned good! Really, really good! Great winter brew, especially for a day like today when the snow fell on a Sunday and the next day was a federal holiday, plows are slow, and we were so accustomed to the mild winter we were handed. This is kind of winter warmer we need right about now. Nice job!