Town Hall Single Malt Ale
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 19   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53   ABV: -
This was a very simple beer to make, yet it is full of great flavor. One malt and one hop variety created this fine ale, both of English origin. This beer has aged since January, so don't let the smooth character fool you...it packs a punch.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
badgerben (4493) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - FEB 25, 2005
Pints on tap and cask. Light orange color with a thin head on tap, thicker and creamier on cask. Aroma was slightly fruity and grainy. The grains on the tap pour were overwhelming. It wasn’t to the "dusty silo" level, but definitely more than is necessary. The cask was much smoother and more rounded in the flavors. The dusty grains blended back into the body and let the barley come out to play. Just enough hops to say hello. Okay, but not what I was expecting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 24, 2005
Orange/Brown Coloring with White Head. Had on Tap and on Cask. Malt Aroma and on the Tongue....Sadly a Disappointment. Malt...Light Fruit Notes...but Overall a Grainy Taste That Cannot be Ignored. Much Smoother on Cask and More Drinkable. Decent Session Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 17, 2005
Cask. Orange. Butterscotch bitter vanilla aroma. Velvety head-no bubbles visible, just a cloud of frothy goodness. Creamy x3 hearty mouthfel bringing honey and lavender through to the finish. Well done indeed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2004
I've never done a review "from memory", without help of notes, but there I was at the pub without my notebook and they have on cask the one beer of theirs that I haven't tried in the past year and then some. But consider that I left the pub just 30 minutes ago, and had 2 pints, I should be in the clear. Appearance: hazy, straw-yellow color, leading into a dusky orange, with a solid, though thinnish, creamy head. Aroma was muted, somewhat dry, but still with sweet hints to it. Taste: little hops here, but plenty of fruit flavor, though subtly played, I tasted apricots, and white grape, a bit of melon, and a whiff of figs, even. Malt is the key element, and though I know not which one or what type, it's character was singular, dry, yet a bit grainy, still a touch sweet and lightly fruity. The cask-conditioning provided an extra smoothness in the drinking, and in fact, that's all I thought while tossing in back, "smoo-oo-ooth!" Body is lightish to medium, and the finish is dry, yet long, lingering, flavorful. Somehow I totally missed this one last year, but I'm glad that I got a chance again, and I veered from my usual quirk of not having the same beer twice in a row, if I can help it, that has dogged my behavior like a superstition for many years...it was just too good! Another very satisfying Town Hall brew, do not pass this one up if the oppurtunity arrives!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 11, 2004
rating from what i remember from a week ago... this beer left a sub-par impression. it uses the same malts as macallan's, so i was pretty excited to try it-- because that's one of my favorite scotches. anyhow. this stuff is way too sweet. syrupy palate. slightly dry finish. i couldn't stomach this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
JK (4587) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2004
Some fruit aroma and also hopps. Light gold color, looks like a cider. Flavor is of sweet malt, a taste common in town hall beers. Really too sweet without anything backing it up, like a fruit flavor; rather, just sugar. Thin. I'm glad they gave me a sample. I didn't really like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BitterPoet (57) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Surprised to walk in last night and find this long lost love on cask. Made my night. Nose is melon and maybe pear drunk on fine whiskey (single malt?). Great aroma! Taste is less fruit more caramel-laced bitter. Texture is unusual, almost greasy, but not unpleasant. Alcohol is, indeed, hidden well. I could have killed the pint. Grab this "mistakenly tapped" brew at Town Hall while it lasts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - JUL 8, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2005 Scraped my first review cuz it was unjustified compared to this offering - Wow! From the tap - fresh growler 2/24/05: Same color, a peachy yellow thats very clear with a bigger, steadfast, firmly foamy whitish head and thin ink blobby lacing stick all over the glass. Aroma has a very pleasant fresh crispy sweetness of wheat dough and grains that you can tell is gonna stick to your palate with love as you sip. Lightly transendant caramel biscuit notes frolic underneath. Flavors just don’t quit with this one, lovely sweet malt bringing a nice light toasty caramel and wheat dough mix within a lightly leafy hop backing and a ton of favorable sticky tones making a home right on your palate. Very malty, and not darkly so, more wheaty/grainy and toasty bringing to mind the Maibock style it nearly mirrors. Feel is quite chewy, sticky, and full; lushiously smooth with a full malt load of under currents that builds with a bit of toasty factions then turns to a light husky wheat and leafy hop topped with a touch of melony sweetening way late. A true keeper! This shit rocks! Another Hoops wonderment of drinkability! I could drink it all day!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2229) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - APR 8, 2003
UPDATED: APR 2, 2004 4/2/04: Re-Rate. I'll preface this re-rate by saying it followed a pint of Town Hall's new Big Ticket Double IPA, so it started off very poorly. It slowly improved as my palate recovered, but I still felt at the bottom of the glass that this year's version of the Single Malt is a downgrade. Appearnce improves to a 3 but Flavor, Palate and Overall drop to 6,3 and 13, respectively. 4/8/03:Sweet and moderately hoppy in the nose. Smells like a hoppy English Bitter. Small, white head with virtually no lacing and mostly diminishing. Light amber body; almost a deep gold. Moderately bitter flavor. Very well balanced between hops and malt. Somewhat sweet. Single Malt is a very tasty brew that I would have drunk all night were it not for so many other good Town Hall offerings.