Town Hall Single Malt Ale
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 19   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53   ABV: -
This was a very simple beer to make, yet it is full of great flavor. One malt and one hop variety created this fine ale, both of English origin. This beer has aged since January, so don't let the smooth character fool you...it packs a punch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - JUL 8, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2005 Scraped my first review cuz it was unjustified compared to this offering - Wow! From the tap - fresh growler 2/24/05: Same color, a peachy yellow thats very clear with a bigger, steadfast, firmly foamy whitish head and thin ink blobby lacing stick all over the glass. Aroma has a very pleasant fresh crispy sweetness of wheat dough and grains that you can tell is gonna stick to your palate with love as you sip. Lightly transendant caramel biscuit notes frolic underneath. Flavors just don’t quit with this one, lovely sweet malt bringing a nice light toasty caramel and wheat dough mix within a lightly leafy hop backing and a ton of favorable sticky tones making a home right on your palate. Very malty, and not darkly so, more wheaty/grainy and toasty bringing to mind the Maibock style it nearly mirrors. Feel is quite chewy, sticky, and full; lushiously smooth with a full malt load of under currents that builds with a bit of toasty factions then turns to a light husky wheat and leafy hop topped with a touch of melony sweetening way late. A true keeper! This shit rocks! Another Hoops wonderment of drinkability! I could drink it all day!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BitterPoet (57) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Surprised to walk in last night and find this long lost love on cask. Made my night. Nose is melon and maybe pear drunk on fine whiskey (single malt?). Great aroma! Taste is less fruit more caramel-laced bitter. Texture is unusual, almost greasy, but not unpleasant. Alcohol is, indeed, hidden well. I could have killed the pint. Grab this "mistakenly tapped" brew at Town Hall while it lasts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 17, 2005
Cask. Orange. Butterscotch bitter vanilla aroma. Velvety head-no bubbles visible, just a cloud of frothy goodness. Creamy x3 hearty mouthfel bringing honey and lavender through to the finish. Well done indeed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2004
I've never done a review "from memory", without help of notes, but there I was at the pub without my notebook and they have on cask the one beer of theirs that I haven't tried in the past year and then some. But consider that I left the pub just 30 minutes ago, and had 2 pints, I should be in the clear. Appearance: hazy, straw-yellow color, leading into a dusky orange, with a solid, though thinnish, creamy head. Aroma was muted, somewhat dry, but still with sweet hints to it. Taste: little hops here, but plenty of fruit flavor, though subtly played, I tasted apricots, and white grape, a bit of melon, and a whiff of figs, even. Malt is the key element, and though I know not which one or what type, it's character was singular, dry, yet a bit grainy, still a touch sweet and lightly fruity. The cask-conditioning provided an extra smoothness in the drinking, and in fact, that's all I thought while tossing in back, "smoo-oo-ooth!" Body is lightish to medium, and the finish is dry, yet long, lingering, flavorful. Somehow I totally missed this one last year, but I'm glad that I got a chance again, and I veered from my usual quirk of not having the same beer twice in a row, if I can help it, that has dogged my behavior like a superstition for many years...it was just too good! Another very satisfying Town Hall brew, do not pass this one up if the oppurtunity arrives!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - FEB 16, 2007
Cask! The bartender pulled a cloudy hazy frothy cascading golden orange brew and set it in fron of me. I put it side by side with a regular ’tap’ version of the same beer. The cask version was considerably deeper (the tap version more towards the ’golden’ side of the equation). It was a lot cloudier than the tap version which was clear. Faint aroma of a musky malt. Taste - ahhh. Fantastic maltiness, a bit sweet, surprisingly complex. I tasted a bit of mustiness, but in a good way. I’ve had Town Hall’s "Musty Pete" and didn’t care for it. But this one I liked because the mustiness and peat flavor was subtle. Some honey. Lots of melon. Melon? How’d that get in there? Perfect carbonation. Perfect white head that lasted forever. Medium body. Exceptionally smooth mouthfeel. Simply put, this beer is great. I tried this beer on tap last year, and again from the tap this year. Good, but not outstanding. But on cask, oh my goodness!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - APR 8, 2003
UPDATED: APR 2, 2004 4/2/04: Re-Rate. I'll preface this re-rate by saying it followed a pint of Town Hall's new Big Ticket Double IPA, so it started off very poorly. It slowly improved as my palate recovered, but I still felt at the bottom of the glass that this year's version of the Single Malt is a downgrade. Appearnce improves to a 3 but Flavor, Palate and Overall drop to 6,3 and 13, respectively. 4/8/03:Sweet and moderately hoppy in the nose. Smells like a hoppy English Bitter. Small, white head with virtually no lacing and mostly diminishing. Light amber body; almost a deep gold. Moderately bitter flavor. Very well balanced between hops and malt. Somewhat sweet. Single Malt is a very tasty brew that I would have drunk all night were it not for so many other good Town Hall offerings.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 6, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2008 Growler. Pint shows a clear golden color with a decent head and clingy lace. The aroma is quite pub bitter like, English hops and malt, and some marmalade. The flavor is rather bready and floral, with decent hops to temper. The palate is fairly cleansing and filling. Overall, I like it fine - glad I got the take out growler. Update 9/20/2008 - Had this cask and it rocks! The flavors really show through and make for a nice English pub like fully rounded pint. Wonderful!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BCAR (221) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2005
Light caramel color. Sweet as a Maibock. Roasted malt. Deep, rich flavor. Excellent finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
undsioux7 (807) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - MAR 16, 2007
tap at brewery. This is just a nice simple fun easy drinking session beer. This is one of those fun to drink beers that make you thankful for a great brewery like this. This is beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
Stine (1627) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 1, 2007
Golden orange and mostly clear. Mossy aroma. Hints of hay and sourdough – very English bitter. Taken as an experience it’s like breathing through the mouth off the shore of a temperate zone coastline. Rotted wood, seaweed, and wet mammal and salt mist. The scotch malt works its magic. With hints of doughy flavor, white fruits and grassy hops. Palate is rather empty and sour. Lacking a bit in depth but extremely interesting.