Town Hall Trouble
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.5/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   SEASONAL: Winter   ABV: -

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2004
Deep violet color, smallish head. Aroma is subtle, but still some spiciness. I was told it was like a barleywine, which sold me, but I'm not getting the distinctive aroma I associate with the style. Some fruits, bright ones, cherries, etc. The fruitiness remains on the palate. Malt is high, hops a bit low. That's the difference, I now realize. My favorite barleywines always have a pronounced hop profile, and I'm thrown off by any that are less hoppy. Very tasty, very pleasurable this, very happy. I'm getting the feeling of a lambic here, with the touch of sourness required, although a little syrupy, a little buttery, even. Very merry, as in Christmas, very jubilant, as in New Year. Who needs champagne?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jazz88 (2628) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 22, 2002
Tap. This is their Winter Ale. Deep amber color with a laced off-white head. Malts. Good body. Nothing outstanding or interesting about this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nuffield (3905) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 22, 2002
Thin head, warm red color. Nice as a general beer, but where’s the "English-style strong ale" that the little guide sheet suggests? I think not. Nice complexion overall, but nothing of what this claims to be.