Town Hall Twisted Reality Barleywine
     click to upload

RATINGS: 33   MEAN: 3.91/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 329   ABV: 10.98%
We intended to make a traditional English-style barleywine. Then Mike found a local maple syrup producer and we topped off with just a touch of smoked malt . . . finishing with a very Twisted Reality.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 2, 2006
Went into Town Hall merely to grab a couple growlers, and noticed the regulars drinking out of snifters a beer that wasn’t entirely black...so, it’s not the Imperial Stout, what is it? The Twisted Reality barleywine that they debuted at Winterfest, which I missed, on cask! I had to have one... Beautiful magenta hue, deeper in the top 2/3 of the glass, a clearer crimson at the bottom, under an attractive, lasting creamy head. Nice! Aroma is lush and fruity, while never too sweet, brimming with flavor, enticing one to drink! In the taste, a cornucopia of the usual barleywinish flavors, cherries and cognac, leather and burgundy wine...the cask-conditioning keeps it mellow, and the various characteristics roll around the mouth with careless abandon, yet somehow perfect balance. Plumb malt, and tasteful hops. Lush and luscious, a deep, dreamy ale on can savor at length. Gorgeous texture, keep the mind active and the palate abuzz. I wish I could compare this against the tap offering, which I never had, but on cask this is about near perfection. Plenty strong, though, but a delightful nightcap. I will have to go back for more before this disappears.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - JAN 22, 2006
Tap at Winterfest 2006.Really sweet and syrupy. A little too much for me. Fruity and a touch of caramel but this was like drinking the juice from canned fruit that had fermented.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Sweet and very syrupy, lots of maple syrup and toffee. A little oversweet, negligible hops, some burn at the end. Quite nice, but could use the sweetness to be toned down a bit.