Town Hall Wee Heavy
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 85   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Traditional Scottish ales are brewed with large amounts of base malt, generous use of roasted malt and very few hops. This deep ruby/brown ale is the king of Scottish ales. Offering huge malt flavor and little hop profile, deep caramel, toasted chocolate & and wine-like fruitiness are evident. While extremely sweet at first, the extended aging process results in a mellowing effect, thus producing a very strong complex ale that is smooth and drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2220) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JAN 23, 2005
I was less overwhelmed by this brew compared to my fellow Minnesota compariots. Don’t get me wrong, I thought it was very good, but perhaps not my favorite style. Like the commercial description says, "while extremely sweet at first...," I thought it was overly sweet. And since I only had a 3 oz sample, I didn’t get to see if it mellowed later on. If this is still available on my next visit to TH, I’ll give it another ride. Faint aroma, although I was battling a cold which may have affected my olfactory abilities. Very sweet and a solid alchohol profile.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - JAN 23, 2005
This was great, I mean really good. Awesome sweet taste filled with chocolate and toffee. It looks awesome with a terrific head. An inviting aroma begs you to drink this one. I wouldn’t mind a growler’s worth to sip here at home on the cold january nights.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 23, 2005
Caramel, candy, gritty roasty chocolate, and dark dark bagpipe-blowing goodness. I thought this tasted like good candy, and thus have difficulty being objective about it as a beer. I want to give it a five, but I feel that my sweet tooth is taking over. I want to pour this on my cereal, and lick it out of my fiancee’s belly button. I like it. From growler at Wawood’s tasting (though I will adjust this rating if I find the tap to be wildly different).

BitterPoet (57) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 20, 2005
For the style, I can’t imagine what they could have done to improve it. Port, currants, raisins, a little cognac and good hefty body. The PERFECT January sipper. Well, there you go, a perfect score. If they put it on cask, I’ll wet myself, then give it a 6...in that order.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 20, 2005
Dark plummy color, with cherry edges. largely opaque, with a thinnish, though durable tan head atop. Roasty, bittersweet espresso in the aroma, quickly eclipsed by molasses and dates, a rich, sweetness,sticky, sappy (not in the sense of being maudlin or trite, but being like the leaking of a maple tree), and nearly indulgent, ...avoids resembling treacle, comes off sophisticated and very inviting. The indulgence begins for real in the flavor, dark chocolate and toffee tones are felt foremost, carob, molasses, very full on the tongue, and tangy. This one washes luxuriously, almost sloppily around the mouth, but it’s a so delightfully pungent in taste, I take pleasure in the mess. The 8.5% abv shines a little half-way into the glass, but doesn’t stick out too clumsily. The warming attributes are well-appreciated,and expertly timed. (Mid-January in Minneapolis...it gets a little cold, you know.) Whiskey tastes come to mind, a little cognac, but the real flavor is a cross between dark Jamaican rum and port wine. This is so tasty...so very nice...there, I’ve run out of things to say, and will simply state the obvious. Due to it’s strength, this one is being served only in 10 ounce portions at the pub, yet here I sit at home with a whole growler to myself...how much damage can I do? Just kidding, I’ll cap the thing and dole out it’s goodness to stave off the chill and serve as reward for any accidental good I might do in the day.