Townshend Bridge’s Target Brewer’s Reserve

Brewed by Townshend Brewery
Style: English Pale Ale
Upper Moutere, New Zealand
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.87   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
A big, bold ale, full of delectable UK hop character. As English as beer gets...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jimthechap (1790) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 22, 2012
Next on the hit list is something from my own favourite style sheet is something British in character. Of my first thousand reviews, I have probably shown quite clearly of my affection for the Pommy drop and this stems not only from the side of my Mother’s heritage, but also from my tenure working behind the bar at The Twisted Hop in Christchurch. This place was instrumental in moulding, developing and honing my appreciation of beer and I shall always be grateful. This particular drop is hazy reddish amber in colour with a film of white head. I stuck my nose in and it was warmly welcomed with apricots, peach lobes, guavas. Wonderful orchard malts. It smells of all the good things fruit can give to beer without actually having fruit in it. In the mouth there was plentiful carbonation and then a rush of that lush fruit, steamed pudding-like flavours, cherryvite and fruit leather. Delightfully chewy and a tangy bitterness with some woody Fuggly parts. I enjoy British ales for the elegance of what they provide: sweetness, charm and even restraint. What a pleasure to burp and taste it all over again.