Townshend HM’s Black Strap Brewer’s Reserve

Brewed by Townshend Brewery
Style: Porter
Upper Moutere, New Zealand

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.67/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Travlr (13458) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 13, 2013
Cask handpull at Pom’s. dark variegated amber brown color, thick tan head with good retention and solid lacing. Aroma of black bread dipped in espresso. Taste is coffee grounds. Extremely light body detracts from an otherwise tasty beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cantabrian (883) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 18, 2012
UPDATED: JUL 19, 2012 HM’s Back Strap: the flashy silvery label is rather difficult to read, as all details get lost amidst the reflections. Not to worry, because this is from Townshend’s, the makers of that delicious Townshend’s No. 9 Stout. Well, it’s Her Majesty’s Black Strap. I’m not sure what it is, but they are certainly not referring to anything kinky about the Queen of Jordan. It’s certainly QEII, so there’s nothing to be too excited about. I’m sure Her Majesty would love it. This beer is absolutely delightful. Deeeeeep dark chocolate, but not black, with a reasonable sand-coloured head. Creamy, chocolaty and malty, with some espresso in it, but not too much of a coffee attitude, just as well. The palate is long-lasting, with a dry finish. They call it Porter, but I’d say it’s as Stout. As if! Perfectly crafted black ale, anyway. If aliens landed around the corner, this is what I would give to them to say "It’s beer! And it has our Queen’s name on it!" I know it’s rather offensive to say that, but I am pleasantly surprised by this special edition. Hoping to get some more of it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jimthechap (1791) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 11, 2012
This was supplied to me by a learned off-sider, so I have no idea of the availability, which is sad because I would to go back for seconds of this enormously likeable beer. A little bit of hazy in what was a deep-chocolate to blackish beer. A lot clearer that I thought a porter should be, more dark ale. However it smelt of rich chocolate, caramel and a dash of light espresso and drunk the same. It left a lingering impression of having taken a bite of something made by Whittakers without being overly sweet. Just a tasty, tasty beer and one I would happily revisit over and over