Brewed by Townshend Brewery
Style: Stout
Upper Moutere, New Zealand

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.63/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
A tasty dark stout. Nutty with a chocolate finish.

Jimthechap's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jimthechap (1692) - Christchurch, - NOV 22, 2012
So number 1,000 is a stout. I have a deep and abiding love for a good stout. Based initially in my insatiable desire for demolishing Guinness, the darker beers have always seemed to me to be a big, dark cuddle of chocolate, caramel, charry malt, chili at times. You can hide a multitude of sins in a stout, but you always know a bad one when you taste it. Before I actually go through with my intended purpose of reviewing this beer, I have a few thank yous to offer: Thank you to: ratebeer.com for providing this wonderful forum; the breweries for giving us the beer and the experiences; anyone who has brought me back a bottle of beer from their travels overseas, you are worth a million in prizes; The Twisted Hop for opening my eyes; Townshend Brewery for providing me with my 1,000th; anyone who is prepared to listen to me blather about beer, your tolerance and the ability not to stab me or fall asleep in front of me has provided me with impetus to carry on with my absurd quest; MrsJimthechap for hampering, harassing and irritating me and never failing to point out that spending money on beer is a colossal waste instead of getting a mortgage and feeding all to the bank in interest. I love you, I don’t know why, but you don’t know why you love me either. There’ll be other thank yous (including to the memory of Arthur Guinness), but you’ll have to get me at an opportune moment. This beer: stouty black and caramel head. Some lace, some haze and nutty nose. Chocolate appears toward the end along with caramel and treacly gorgeousness. Similar sensation in the mouth with very tight bubbles, caramel all the way and chocolate. Plenty of walnut, pecan and hazelnut there in a sweetish desserty body. A most pleasant dram before bed. I could quite happily demolish a dozen pints of this stout but for two things - having to keep an eye on my blood sugar and having to get up early tomorrow morning. Good night beer nerds!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
lisagirl (264) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - APR 2, 2013
well, the two below seem to have done a lot of work. a typical drink here. roasted chocolates and malts combine to make this a solid but fairly unremarkable stout. full body, quite nice overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cantabrian (849) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 31, 2013
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2014 My first attempt to try this beer was rather disastrous. I had a bottle with me in a suitcase, on a trip overseas. Yes, I take them, especially to countries where the local beer is crap. That was the case, a nice hot tropical country with lousy local beer. So I put my St Bernard’s Jet in the hotel cheap old mini bar, which has sub-optimum refrigeration, ideal for a good beer. At the end of a miserable day, I got back to my room, retrieved the beer from the mini bar and found myself with no bottle opener. Well, rather than calling room service and asking for one, I had the unfortunate idea to punch the crown against the edge of the bedside desk. No need to say that with humidity and all, at the first strike, the bottle flew from my hands and smashed on the floor. Here I was, with a room flooded with stout and glass shards, and a wonderful bouquet of dark chocolates and malts. It was sad to see the hotel serviceman mop that whole brown nectar with bits of glass into a filthy bucket. I know you’re thinking how stupid that was, but hey, I’m just a fledgeling, still learning. So now I have a proper tasting session. Well, the initial whiff could always bee deceiving. Some call it nutty, but I call it leathery, olive flavoured aroma. Once the beer "breathes", you get the nice dark chocolate on the nose. Lovely black colour (well, dark brown) with a decent cream-coloured head. No criticism there. Flavours are nice, chocolates and roasts, nuts, nothing out of this world, but still bloddy good, nothing less than one would expect from such a great brewery, with a very comprehensive range. To be honest, I still find that Townshends Number 9 is a masterpiece, so that will be my choice (and also H. M. Black Strap Porter). Anyway, this beer has a very chalky texture, perhaps too much, but it goes down easy, in spite of the medium-to-heavy body. Excellent finish, not too long, but kicking around your neurones (NOT taste buds) asking for more!