overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 346   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.27/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
In Bavaria, a unique strain of wheat beer yeast produces an array of distinct flavor qualities typical of a true Hefeweizen: citrus, bubble gum, clove and banana. Trader Joe’s Bavarian-style Hefeweizen is fermented with this exceptional strain. In accordance with the German purity law, this superior beer is brewed with a minimum of 50% malted wheat. Beer Stats 5.3% ABV, 12 I.B.U. Fermented with top fermenting yeast. Brewed for Trader Joe’s specialty grocery stores.

jsf23mr's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jsf23mr (218) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2010
Picked up from Trader Joes on the way home from work. Nothing like beer, pizza and football for a thursday, however the beer is so so. I like hef’s but this one is kinda bland and watery. I like the price point of $5.99. Aroma is citrus, spice, and clove. taste is the same.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
achtungpv (250) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 11, 2016
OK. There’s some citrus, some yeasty-ness, a bit of minor hops. Not bad but nothing stands out. Decent beer if it’s free beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
r464 (2250) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2015
Cloudy yellow. Citrus and spices, banana and sugar. A light malt, crisp with a long and full finish. Not bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
burleybrew (75) - - NOV 24, 2015
Gordon Biersch beers in a TJ’s label & all for $6 a 6 pack. A wonderful Bavarian Hefe. Great clove, wheat, & dry finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
csaso (1958) - Missouri, USA - NOV 20, 2015
Bottle - big foamy head, hazy dark straw color, big banana, clove and bubblegum aroma and flavor, sweet wheat backbone, nice yeasty finish, good hefe overall ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
cheap (5071) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 6, 2015
From a cheap traders joe bottle, looks like a hefe with body. Has that typical hefe banana aroma. Perhaps a little vinegary, but I like the feel tartness adds to this hefe. Yes, I’m starting to really appreciate this one. Good cheap hefe for a $1! Liked it! From previous Josephsbrau, wasn’t sure I would but this is not bad!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
JoeLovesHops (12) - - JUL 27, 2015
While pouring, I swirled the last 25% in the bottle before pouring the rest of it out, as I was directed, to get all of the yeast out. Nice frothy head and good hazy yellowish color; not much aroma. In the flavor, I got the spice, and some kind of fruit; but it also had a cloying sweetness; I have had this type of beer before. I can see why others like it, but this is definitely not my type of beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
smcolw (617) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 15, 2015
Impressive initial head that leaves excellent ring lace on the glass. Brown color that is so cloudy it looks muddy. Sweet dark malt aroma. I can detect wheat but it’s in the background to sweet smell. Reminds me of a dark bock. Reminds me of a candy bar. This is coyingly sweet and unbalanced. There is a good bit of wheat in the background. The body is appropriate for the style with good level of carbonation. Too sweet to be a contender. I won’t be repurchasing this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jamesewelch (257) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUL 2, 2015
From 12oz bottle, purchased single bottle for $1.17, 6 pack around $6-7

Aroma: big banana, slight clove, some bubblegum, sweet candy

Appearance: orange, cloudy, white head that didn’t linger

Taste: Medium sweet, light bitter

Palate: medium body, creamy texture, sweet/butterscotch finish

Overall: Very sweet. A tad too sweet. The aroma was there, but the taste was a bit off. Nice body, but had a slight butterscotch taste to me. Not a bad beer, but that butterscotch is throwing me off. That might just be the combination of the fruit and bubblegum, but it just tastes off. I’m sure a lot of people might actually enjoy that taste, but not me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ttoadee (1155) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 18, 2015
Hazy medium gold pour, 3 fingers of billowy white head. Nose is fresh banana. Little on the sweet side. Middle is steady, mild bubblegum, accented with more banana & lightly kilned malt. Finish has a hint of butterscotch. Pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
ct8trent (1) - California, USA - MAY 17, 2015 does not count
This beer is the only beer I have found in California that taste identical to Hefeweizen in southern Germany.