Trapp Family Lodge Summer Lager

Trapp Family Lodge Summer Lager
     click to upload

RATINGS: 9   MEAN: 3.5/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
It is a Pilsner style with a hint of wheat, which gives it a great haze on those long hot summer days. Pilsner and Munich malts add to the depth of its body. It is dry hopped with Hallertau hops to give it a great floral aroma and a nice clean finish.

Lubiere (9998) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 30, 2014
A lightly hazed blonde lager with a thin white head. In aroma, smooth mineral biscuit malt with grassy hops, pleasant. In mouth, a nice sweet fruity malt with light grassy hops, light mineral notes, quaffable lager. On tap at brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AdamJackson (2606) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 19, 2014
Pale cloudy yellow. Sticky head. Smells like lemon grass. Sweet lemon grass and melon. Citrus and rind. More honey and a touch of corn.

jkwood04 (3946) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 25, 2014
On tap at Whetstone Brewpub. Pours golden with a lacy, white head. Aroma of pale and light caramel malts, dough/bread, and floral hops. Flavor the same. Average to lighter texture. A pretty good pilsener.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
canary dog (655) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - MAY 8, 2014
Growler from the local bevvy store. It was listed as 6.5% abv, however. I’m assuming that is a mistake because pilsners aren’t typically that strong, and it didn’t feel that strong either. I thought this was pretty mediocre. Hops were done well, and perhaps slightly more IPAish than what I typically like for this style, but the overall profile of the beer was dominated by this stale malt essence that one gets in lesser craft brews. I call it a malt problem, but I really don’t know what causes it. I just know I don’t care for it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bellco33 (317) - Willington, Connecticut, USA - OCT 16, 2013
On tap (flight sampler) at Trapp Family Lodge: I wouldn’t have ordered this if it we not part of the sampler, but I’m glad I did. Pours golden with a small white head, mostly clear. Aroma is that of a pilsner, but not your typical "skunky" aroma. Taste is great, especially for a "summer" beer which I typically find to be repulsive overly-fruity crap. This had a slight floral taste, rich malts from FRESH pilsner malts and Munich (I think), and a nice little kick from the hops. This is an atypical summer beer, but that’s what makes it great. I don’t think it would age well if it is ever bottled (which I think they are planning to do with the new brewery) so try to get it at the source. Great beer for it’s class.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ed5388 (2091) - Forked River, New Jersey, USA - AUG 1, 2013
On tap @ 3 Needs (Burlington VT). Pours a hazy orange/yellow color with a thin white head. Aroma of grain and citrus. Taste has a nice citrus hop bite. Tastes more like a pilsner then a lager. I’m liking this one.

Boutip (4726) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 18, 2013
Tap: Poured a clear light yellow color ale with a medium white head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma consists of light wheat malt note with some dry floral hoppy notes. Taste is also dominated by dry floral hoppy notes with light wheat notes and some cereal notes are also discernable. Body is light with medium carbonation. Good but I think it would have been even better if more wheat had been used.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Radek Kliber (6470) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUL 5, 2013
on tap at brewpub
Aroma with slight citrus feel. Light tartness .Hint of lime. Poured with hazed bright unfiltered look. Lighter white cap. Medium bodied. Dry front, zesty , citrusy backing. Nice crispness. Yummy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
j12601 (6584) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - JUN 1, 2013
On tap at Trapp with Andy, Max, and Pearl. Pours a hazed gold with a thin white head. Soft grain and light sweetness on the nose. Crisp and lemony, bright with a little bit of wheat. Grainy and crisp, lovely and very easy drinking. Crisp and beautiful. My favorite of the five we tried at Trapp, oddly enough.