overall
Brewed by Traquair House
Style: Traditional Ale
Innerleithen, Borders, Scotland

RATINGS: 1337   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
The famous Bear Gates guarding the approach to Traquair House, near Pebbles, have been closed since 1745 - when the last person to pass through them was Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Now, 250 years later, the ancient Traquair Brew House celebrates the Jacobite cause by producing this potent spiced ale to a traditional fine recipe. Sip slowly and remember the old toast to the "King O'er the Water."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dalle (1145) - Skørping, DENMARK - JUN 29, 2003
Dark red body. Incredible aroma with malt and spice. Taste is spicy (not too much!) and malty (notes of smoked malt). Very nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
davesarman (159) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - JUN 28, 2003
Beautiful beer from a beautiful brewery! I stayed there back in 2001. Nothing like having the beer 50 yards from where it's brewed!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Darkover (1512) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2004 Very dark brown/ruby with a big tan head. Aroma of Malt, spices, fruit and candy. Flavor of malt, chocolate, toffee, charms blowpop and spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
caesar (5043) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - JUN 19, 2003
Clear but very dark black color, short head. Aroma is roasted malts, coffee, milk, bit spicy. Flavor of roasted malts, oatmeal. Quite bitter coffee finish. I'm quite disappointed with the UK top brews...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jerohen (1990) - Bussum, NETHERLANDS - JUN 19, 2003
Dark appearance. Coffee, liquorice and roasted malts in aroma. Fairly complex taste, but somehow this is just not my kind of style. Nice for a try, but way too expensive (3 euro's a bottle) to drink more often.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
JorisPPattyn (7877) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - JUN 12, 2003
Dark, coffee-like, or exotic polished wood. Thin but dense yellowish head, fine pearling. Thick, soupy, celery aroma, even celery-salt like. There's definitely celery-taste in this, and not just a bit (DMS?). It's even annoying, and the coriander, the other aroma, seems to strenghten it. Warming up, the coriander seems to take over more and more. Thick, rich and chewy mouthfeel. Some alcohol and quite some esters retronasal. Sticky feeling afterwards. As if you've eaten something. I ought to find this great, but I'm searching for the fatty-rings on my soup, sorry, beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
BBB63 (6010) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUN 8, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2005 Rerate: The spices seem more subdued but the blend still does not work for my palate. I will increase the flavor score and overall by one point a piece, still my most against the grain brew. I tried, I really wanted this to be better...

The appearance is beautiful, reddish brown with just a little light shining through, little head but still got some lacing out if it, medium-bodied. Wow, very spicy and vinous on the nose, a bit of raisin sweetness detected once I adjusted to the overpowering spices. Holy batman, the spices attacked my taste buds right from the get-go, okay, something else will follow, this is complex right...wrong! I just can get past the heavy corriander taste, I like the taste in a witbier, but this is just too much! Some sweetness to the rescue but too late. This beer ruined my palate for the rest of the evening, I’m soooooo disappointed, really like complex scotch ales. Did I have a bad bottle? I hope so because everybody else can’t be this wrong about this beer. I will re-rate when I find another bottle from a different vendor. Drain pour last 1/2 of glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 7, 2003
Very dark, reddish brown with barely a head at all. Smells to me somewaht like FruitLoops cereal, and tastes like it too. A co-mingling of various fruits. Spicy and herbal. Crisp and refreshing. Perfectly balanced, a nice roastiness. A good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (4823) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 6, 2003
I didn't think that an ale with coriander would do it for me, but this is quite good. This has a beautiful dark red color, and an aroma of oats, spices and maltiness. The flavor is very much like a barleywine, with a complex mix of tastes from grain, to mildly sweet fruit, earthiness and, of course, coriander. This is some great stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUN 6, 2003
Brandy, brown sugar, banana, and spice. A bit too strong on the volatiles (banana esters and alcohol) for my liking.