overall
Style: Abbey Tripel
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 2838   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Bottle conditioned.
First brewed 1996; claimed to be based on a recipe from 1679 which used wheat, oat and barley.
Tripel Karmeliet is a very refined and complex golden-to-bronze brew with a fantastic creamy head. These characteristics derive not only from the grains used but also from restrained hopping with Styrians and the fruity nature (banana and vanilla) of the house yeast. Aroma has hints of vanilla mixed with citrus aromas. Tripel Karmeliet has not only the lightness and freshness of wheat, but also the creaminess of oats together with a spicy lemony almost quinine dryness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dogfishho (599) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - DEC 12, 2006
Poured from a fresh 75 cl bottle. The cork shot off after I loosened the metal cage. Not particularly important to my enjoyment of the beer, but interesting nonetheless. This tripel poured a beautiful golden straw color with a monstrous white gleaming head. My initial impression of the aroma was that it had possibly been skunked, but my concerns were abated after it had a chance to warm up. The nose was full of belgian yeast, sweet fruits, and a mild tinge of alcohol. From the first taste, I knew I had something special on my hands. The flavors of sweet caramel sugar, candy malts, dried fruit, and a character that I cannot describe. In my short ratebeer experience, I have run across few tastes that have left me at a loss, but there was one in this brew. The mouthfeel is really what put this great brew into the elite category. For a belgian ale, this was simply the smoothest and most creamy beer I have ever had. So delicious and approachable despite high alcohol content. I officially have a new entry into my personal top 5.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
crazyvin (1990) - New York, USA - DEC 9, 2006
a nicey malty note mainly of bananas but some bubblegum. A nice golden hue with a frothy white head. A mildly carbonated body and a warming alcohol finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Amaj80HC (13) - 9, BELGIUM - DEC 7, 2006
I tasted this beer with a friend but neither of us liked this beer. We tried two bottles to rule out the "bad bottle"- scenario. What we didnít like was the herb and pepper taste... maybe the beer was just too young.....(My friend didnít even finish his glass) I have a corked 75cl bottle in my cellar that i will keep a few years to see if there will be an improvement. For now however itís a no go.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DanBerg (59) - Alkmaar, NETHERLANDS - DEC 4, 2006
Wow this was quite an experience! Some people told me that I should try this one so I bought it immediatly and drank it the same evening. Very big white head. Sweet, fruity notes with a great palate in the mouth. I almost didnít noticed that there was 8% alcohol in it. Canít wait to drink this one on tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MPA (837) - Amager (form. NÝrrebro&Aalborg), DENMARK - DEC 4, 2006
Bottle. Light golden with a longlasting white head. Sweet aroma with yeast, fruit and alcohol. Sweet with fruit and a good amount of flavour in general.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - DEC 4, 2006
Huge lumpy cap of off white foam, pale gold. A rustic aroma. Baguette, dry earth. Dry tasting up front, bright carbonation. Pepper, melon. Alcohol lends a bit of creaminess. Alcohol presence grows as the glass progresses, getting a bit overbearing. Overall, I did still enjoy this beer, but it wasnít as nuanced as I hoped.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Stine (1627) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 29, 2006
On tap at Barley Johnís. Blonde golden color with a foamy white head. Spicy aromas with lemons and banana. White pepper, dry leaves, white grapes and a pleasant wheaty flavor on the tongue. Perfectly lovely mouthfeel that is both acidic and dry, light and full-bodied. Finishes very clean, with a nicely quieted alcoholic flush.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
danmalleck (26) - Alberta, CANADA - NOV 28, 2006
Bottle (small one) Big head, pretty tight bubbles, nice lacing. Beautiful pale colour. Nose is nice, yeasty but not overwhelming; sweet, mildly floral. And the taste, itís just lovely. Very refreshing, fills the mouth. Great finish, clean and all that is left is fond memories. Highly recommended

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zootfinster (208) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2006
After years of reading and hearing about the glories of Belgium beer, I went to a restaurant in Chicago Hopleaf, specializing in just that as well as Belgium food. I am now a true believer. I ran quickly the next day to buy some of the golden goodness I drank the night before. Triple Karleliett is a fruity, delicious wonderful beer that I am confident will lead me to still more great Belgium brews.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pintbypint (2696) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - NOV 26, 2006
330ml brown bottle. Golden honeyish colour, large airy white head. Fruity and slight citrusy aroma - notes of orange peels, light alcohol and some spice. Flavour is sweet, notes of banana, citrus and sweet malt. Orangey finish with trace alcohol, Some yeast and wheaty dryness. Medium body, fine prickly carbonation.