overall
Style: Abbey Tripel
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 2985   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Bottle conditioned.
First brewed 1996; claimed to be based on a recipe from 1679 which used wheat, oat and barley.
Tripel Karmeliet is a very refined and complex golden-to-bronze brew with a fantastic creamy head. These characteristics derive not only from the grains used but also from restrained hopping with Styrians and the fruity nature (banana and vanilla) of the house yeast. Aroma has hints of vanilla mixed with citrus aromas. Tripel Karmeliet has not only the lightness and freshness of wheat, but also the creaminess of oats together with a spicy lemony almost quinine dryness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mrdeath5493 (113) - Arkansas, USA - DEC 22, 2006
Bottle: If you have not tried this beer, do so. It speaks for itself. A very tasty, oustanding Belgian tripel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dogfish120 (143) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - DEC 22, 2006
Bottle: Pours classic hazy yellow with large creamy white head. Notes of carmel and banana along with brown sugar. Mouthfeel is light to medium. Corriander, flowery and carmel begin to attack the pallate at first, followed by a slight brown sugar and yeasty notes. Finishes cleaner than most triples I have had. Great

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
detroitsteel (235) - Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 22, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2007 Comes in one of the best beer glasses I’ve ever seen. The Flur De Lys enscribed tulip Holds a full head, lovely golden hue. The flavour is classic Belgian strong ale sweetness - banana and honey - combined with wonderfull spices: corriander powder, cinamon and nutmeg. Its strong but the alcohol takes second place to flavours. As a long time Duvel drinker I can’t believe its taken me this long to find this beer - Its a truly wonderfull drink. Re sampled recently, and I’ve knocked it down a peg or 2. Got to be tough with those high marks!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bager (2121) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - DEC 21, 2006
Bottled. Cloear golden in colour with a rather large head. Malty and yeasty with notes of coriander, caramel, spices and flowers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Scauca (490) - Lovere, ITALY - DEC 20, 2006
Two 0.75lt green bottles, bought from the same shelf in the same time. Very strong white head both, but the second I guess too carbonated even for this style. Nice golden colour thou a little hazy, due to bottle re-fermentation. Yellow fruits, hints of pineapple, very spicy, a little too yeasty and well balanced the first, while very unpleasant alcoholic feelings in the second. Nevertheless a good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 15, 2006
On tap @ Ashley’s: Clear gold in color with a white head. Aroma of corriander, yeast, spice and some floral notes. Flavor, spicy and bready, yeast. Some light fruits as well. I hated this when I had it the first time, but I really had a thing against belgians at the time. This was pretty solid stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - DEC 13, 2006
Bottle purchased some time ago at Friar Tuck in Savoy, IL. Served with mussels. The mussels were the highlight. Notes of hay, banana, and bread great the nose, while the palate leads into a strong wheat presence, more banana, lemon zest. Struck me as overly carbonated, a bit thin, and not as complex as the 3.9 score would begin to suggest. Lacked the stronger hops presence I was hoping for as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dogfishho (656) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - DEC 12, 2006
Poured from a fresh 75 cl bottle. The cork shot off after I loosened the metal cage. Not particularly important to my enjoyment of the beer, but interesting nonetheless. This tripel poured a beautiful golden straw color with a monstrous white gleaming head. My initial impression of the aroma was that it had possibly been skunked, but my concerns were abated after it had a chance to warm up. The nose was full of belgian yeast, sweet fruits, and a mild tinge of alcohol. From the first taste, I knew I had something special on my hands. The flavors of sweet caramel sugar, candy malts, dried fruit, and a character that I cannot describe. In my short ratebeer experience, I have run across few tastes that have left me at a loss, but there was one in this brew. The mouthfeel is really what put this great brew into the elite category. For a belgian ale, this was simply the smoothest and most creamy beer I have ever had. So delicious and approachable despite high alcohol content. I officially have a new entry into my personal top 5.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - DEC 9, 2006
a nicey malty note mainly of bananas but some bubblegum. A nice golden hue with a frothy white head. A mildly carbonated body and a warming alcohol finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Amaj80HC (13) - 9, BELGIUM - DEC 7, 2006
I tasted this beer with a friend but neither of us liked this beer. We tried two bottles to rule out the "bad bottle"- scenario. What we didn’t like was the herb and pepper taste... maybe the beer was just too young.....(My friend didn’t even finish his glass) I have a corked 75cl bottle in my cellar that i will keep a few years to see if there will be an improvement. For now however it’s a no go.