overall
Style: Abbey Tripel
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 2929   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Bottle conditioned.
First brewed 1996; claimed to be based on a recipe from 1679 which used wheat, oat and barley.
Tripel Karmeliet is a very refined and complex golden-to-bronze brew with a fantastic creamy head. These characteristics derive not only from the grains used but also from restrained hopping with Styrians and the fruity nature (banana and vanilla) of the house yeast. Aroma has hints of vanilla mixed with citrus aromas. Tripel Karmeliet has not only the lightness and freshness of wheat, but also the creaminess of oats together with a spicy lemony almost quinine dryness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
javiercrasher (210) - Granada, SPAIN - NOV 10, 2014
De color entre amarillo oro y cobre, con una buena capa de espuma blanca de media retención y que deja encaje. De aromas suaves y a la vez complejos. Afrutada y especiada. Platano, albaricoque y algo de naranja. Clavo y levadura. Algo de cereal y hierba del lúpulo. Bastante gasificada y cuerpo medio. En boca también muy equilibrada. Dulce y maltosa, cremosa. Y sigue la fruta y las especias. Alcohol bien integrado.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bloekie (210) - BELGIUM - MAR 7, 2009
Never really liked blonde beers until a classmate recommended this one to me. Has an awesome herb-aroma which lets you think of fields in springtime. The taste balances betweens honey, citrusfruits and herbs. One of my all-time favourites.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
foundmd (210) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 17, 2011
330ml bottle. Beautiful golden yellow color with a huge pillowy white head. Lost of bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass. Fantastic complexity in the aroma and taste: clove, banana, herbs, citrus, hay, peach, mango, cereal, grass, spruce, floral hops, and sweetness. The oats and wheat make this smooth and delicate on the palate. A world class Tripel to be enjoyed by all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - FEB 9, 2004
Orange and coriander nose with like a demerara sugar tone. I have two of the "correct" glasses thanks to a special bottle shop, I suspect these help a lot with concentrating the smells. The glass looks nice and makes the huge head look even bigger... This is what I think a tripel ought to taste like, I admit to not having tasted the ones rated higher than this due to availability (but a few in the same score range I have and don't like anywhere near this) and so I guess I should leave room for hypothetical improvements... the robustness of body like a dark double but with the light spiciness that makes the difference. The palate is absolutely smooth and has no edges that cut at the tongue. I am trying really hard not to give this 100% because I know that there are so many things I haven't tried that I need room to manouevre but I currently can't see anything beating this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChristianHR (209) - DENMARK - AUG 14, 2013
En sød blomstret duft, men også let bitter duft af humle. En lys gul farve med god skum. En dejlig sød smag. Karamelsmagen som man finder ved mange tripler. I sammenspil med en blomstersmag. Karbonationen er fin. Øllet prikker let på tungen og vækker smagsløgene.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zootfinster (209) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2006
After years of reading and hearing about the glories of Belgium beer, I went to a restaurant in Chicago Hopleaf, specializing in just that as well as Belgium food. I am now a true believer. I ran quickly the next day to buy some of the golden goodness I drank the night before. Triple Karleliett is a fruity, delicious wonderful beer that I am confident will lead me to still more great Belgium brews.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pomko (208) - UKRAINE - JUL 29, 2014
Hazy golden color , nice white head. Floral, spicy aroma with notes of belgian yeast. Rich taste of belgian yeast , citrus , malt and spices. Moderate bitterness . Good hidden alcohol. Great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Clyx (208) - SWEDEN - SEP 4, 2011
Decent beer, not a big fan of the whole banana, bubblegum. But this beer was very balanced. Notes of hay, floral, banana, bubblegum and some coriander.

ChrisTurner (207) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - APR 11, 2007
UPDATED: APR 20, 2007 Bottle -- Golden yellow in colour with active carbonation and a dense white head that lasts well. Fruity sweetness in the aroma with a beautifully spicy edge. Not as full a mouthfeel as I’d expect. Bananas and fruitiness in the flavour with a dry finish. Superb.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - JUL 10, 2005
I didn’t have a notepad with me so I’m not going to comment on it from memory. I’ll have to rerate this later.