overall

RATINGS: 521   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   EST. CALORIES: 279   ABV: 9.3%
The Flying Mouflan was #4 in the "Scratch Beer Series" begun by John and Chris Trogner and their brewing staff in 2007, producing one-offs based on recipes the brothers developed in the mid-’90s when they were considering opening a brewpub rather than a production brewery. The medal-win in Denver last October convinced the brothers to make the barleywine-style ale the first beer to come out of the Scratch program and be added to the production roster.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
LordHeelGibson (18) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 12, 2011
Awesome!!!! "We classify this beer as pushing Nugget Nectar off the side of a cliff. It is bold and intense–think hops dipped in candied sugar and rolled in dark chocolate nibs. Over time, the Flying Mouflan transforms into lush raisin and chocolate overtones as the hops subside and the rich barley flavors come out in the beer.” — John Trogner Perfect description of this fantastic beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
LostHops287 (18) - California, USA - MAY 25, 2012
Poured a nice mahogany. Little to no head. Nice big body with nice subtle hop profile just enough to let you know its there. Nice sweet subtle favors of malty goodness. Big thumbs up from me. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
spence3208 (18) - Maine, USA - OCT 22, 2013
22 ounce bottle. Pours a dark amber color with a small biege head. Aroma of caramel, fruit, and tobacco. Taste is leather/Tobacco, caramel, fig, and grass. Although it is a pretty well balanced barley wine its Mouthful is a tad thin for me.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HailSquishface (16) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - MAY 22, 2008
Huge thanks to The_Epeeist for this. Pours a dark chestnut into my giant snifter with the tiniest head that disappears quickly leaving some lacing. Smell: The best nose on a barleywine I’ve smelt in a long time, maybe it’s the huge snifter, but I doubt it. Really Earthy, Citrus and Caramel dominate with Rum, Rasins, and Toffee. Taste: Sweet, Fruity, Caramel, Woody(I’d swear this was oaked), a little bit of Dark Fruits, Pine, Citrus, Burnt Sugar aftertaste. Heavy and Smooth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
rfg0829 (15) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 8, 2011
Aroma Sweet, Nutty, caramel, fruity, malty Appearance Almond brown, lite caramel head Taste Malty, slight walnut taste, caramel, vanilla hints Palate Smooth, slight alcohol taste, sweet

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gorosaurus (15) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 26, 2012
The Flying Mouflan is a beast in a bottle! It has all of the delicate touches of a finely crafted beer, but the alcohol content of a wine. The brothers worked well to make a beer that hides the hardness of the high alcohol content and leaves you only with a slight warmth to the product. As one would expect, this is not a highly carbonated beverage. The color is light and cheery, but it looks and feels like a barley wine through-and-through. There is an underlying sweetness that helps the brew go down. Beyond the warmth on your tongue, you’d never know this was more than a 4% beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Telios (10) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 31, 2009
I had a bottle of this from Max’s while visiting Baltimore. I’m from Florida and this was my first Troegs beer (the only one available at the pub at the time). I’m a big hop-head and have been dying to try this brewery after reading many good reviews of their Nugget Nectar. I had no idea what type of beer this was, but the label mentioned something about it being Nugget Nectar pushed off a cliff or something, and that was enough to sell me on this $15 bottle. There is a lot going on with this beer from the subdued hoppiness and moderate maltiness of the initial taste to the lingering intense chocolate malt finish that I just can’t quite seem to put into words. The main appeal of this beer to me is this complex, sophisticated taste journey. The main drawback to me is actually this same complexity of taste that may just be too sophisticated for my simple hop-head tastebuds. I’m glad I got to experience this beer, and even though I can’t call it a favorite, I would definitely recommend it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
pourcurator (7) - USA - MAY 4, 2010 does not count
A big bold beer with notes of maple, brown sugar, and even some apple. Appearance is a gorgeous red-brown with moderate head. Doesn’t finish as well as I’d like. Label recommends cellaring, which could really help mellow the beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
craftsy21 (6) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2010 does not count
Not a big barley-wine fan usually, but my friend told me this was a must try and I was blown away. A mix of all the best part of Troegs brewing.

d0ggnate (4) - California, USA - MAY 12, 2009 does not count
What the hell is a Flying Mouflan? I don’t know, but I like it. A: Pours a velvet amber/brown/almost purple color with a puffed up two finger head layer that leaves patch lace around my glass. S: Grape notes. Hops mixed with malt beautifully. T: Subdued and bitter hops. Strong malt flavors, too. This beer really reminds me of a table wine. As this beer warms, almost a chocolate/cocoa flavor emerges. M: Mouth coating flavor with a thinner body. The hops aren’t overwhelming here. D: Pretty good stuff. Not my favorite in the style, but a welcomed treat from the East Coast.