overall

RATINGS: 1058   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Troegs HopBack Amber gets its unique name and taste from the HopBack Vessel in our brewhouse. Packed full of whole flower hops, each batch circulates through the vessel, creating a fresh hoppy aroma, spicy taste and rich caramel note that defines this signature amber ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 14, 2004
The name says it all. Hoppy throughout finishing nicely with a kick of bitter hops. Also has a subtle citrus sweetness. A good brew. I have had a couple beers from troegs and all have been great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DocLock (7729) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 9, 2004
I just got back from a tasting event at the Beer Yard in Wayne, PA. I got to sample a freshly bottled one direct from the brewery in Harrisburg. This one pours deep amber in color, with an amazing hop aroma, with malt, grapefruit, and toffee overtones. Great head and lacing. The first taste is super hoppy, with a nice, slightly sweet malt flavor underneath. Finished very smooth, hoppy, malty, and crisp. To me, this was not an amber ale, but rather a great pale/IPA made with amber malts. I was so impressed that I took a case home with me. This one reminded me very much of Victory Hopdevil. I will do them side by side and report ASAP.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 7, 2004
Copper orange, thick webs of lacing. Sweet caramel malts, fruits, citrus, juicy hops (like orange juice, a little). Very smooth and creamy

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 31, 2004
Thanks to slob for this goodie! Bottle, pours a beautiful clear copper color with a creamy off-white head that lasts well. Aroma is a delicious balance of sweet caramelly malts with floral and citrus hops. Flavor is nicely balanced but not quite as full as I had expected from the aroma and it leaves a slight metallic taste in the finish. Nice smooth mouthfeel with creamy carbonation. Good session ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
SiddFinch (155) - Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Nicely balanced amber. unfortunately, there's a characteristic to this that leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth. Something I've seen in a few of Troeg's offerings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
willblake (2645) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAR 19, 2004
Old tangerine-skin amber color, little visible carbonation, nice froth, but fading quickly. Aromas are slightly sweet but, much to my surprise, potent with Cascades. I should have read the label to expect this. The balance is quite reminiscent of one of my old standby NW brews, Deschutes Mirror Pond. Nice lacing. I really like this beer, but I might just be homesick for Montana. Better re-rate in the future, meantime I'll drink some more Troegs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DCopperfields (145) - Alabama, USA - MAR 11, 2004
A good looking pale amber with an off-whitish frothy head. Aroma is of caramel and bitting hops. Pretty rich mouth, good malt backbone immediately met with intense hopping. Excellent brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinz (3256) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Orange amber in appearance, very nice lacing. Aroma grapefruit with a faint hint of roasted malt. Earth and citrus hops blend very nicely with caramel malts. I would have considered this an APA. Whatever you call it, this is a highly enjoyable, relaxing, and well made brew. I might start dropping this one in as a bonus bottle in trades.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - FEB 22, 2004
Clear ambery brownish hue, glowing strong, thin yellowish white creamy foamed head, faded fast, some spotty lace. Soft, faint aroma of caramel, citrusy-orange, light hoppy pineness, tight but light. Taste of smooth caramel, sweet roasty malts start then leading into a light piney, citrusy floral fresh mild hop bite and bitterness. Reminds me more of a pale then an amber, but dulled with much more malts. Feel is medium bodied, creamy, and partially thin. I don't know what to think of this one, I thought for a second, cuz of the name, it was an IPA, but nope, whatever it is, its pretty damn drinkable stuff, quite enjoyably smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boto (1827) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - FEB 15, 2004
12oz bottle: This one poured an absolutely crystal clear orangish-amber color. It had a decent head, but it went down rather quickly. Decent amount of lacing. Grapefruit hops and some spices to the nose. Very smooth and dry to the taste. It has a good hop bite, with a good malt backbone. Even a hint of sweetness in the background. Very Nice!