overall

RATINGS: 630   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
JavaHead Stout, first released as Scratch 15, contains a blend of locally roasted espresso and Kenyan coffee beans by St. Thomas Roasters in Linglestown, PA.

This recipe is based off of our original 2005 oatmeal stout. After the boil the hot wort passes through our hopback vessel packed full of whole leaf hops and a bed of coffee beans - akin to a French press - intensifying the coffee nose and releasing hints of coffee flavor. The result is a lush oatmeal mouthfeel balanced with cocoa, roast and subtle coffee flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Drake (9257) - Free Union, Virginia, USA - NOV 21, 2009
22 ounce bottle from Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA. Pours a very dark brown color appearing black in the glass. Large brown head shows good head retention and lacing. Aroma of smooth chocolate and coffee along with very faint roast notes and a stronger hoppiness than I would have expected. Taste is coffee, bitter roasted malts, chocolate and a bitter, leafy hoppy finish. Smooth, creamy. Medium-full bodied.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Foxbush (1346) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - NOV 21, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2009 The Troegs brewery had a representative visiting The Caboose in Ashland for beer sampling. I purchased 22 oz to rate later. They had four beers for sampling. I will spend more time evaluating the 22 oz purchase. My son and I enjoyed the Java Stout over the weekend watching NFL football. This was great experience. The stout was a deep black with much coffee flavors. the well balanced stout was fun to drink with the complex flavors attacking you.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
tomthompson89 (1921) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 21, 2009
this was a pretty regular coffeeish style stout and i found a touch thin for an oatmeal stout. nice coffee on the nose not as much hops as expected but a little there. sweet malts some chocolate. flavor is the same but with a touch of smoke, poured a nice dark brown but from the pour i could tell it was thinner then i like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Travlr (13679) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - NOV 20, 2009
Appearance was nearly black, but let’s some light through. Large bubble head that evaporates quickly to leave moderate lacing. Smell was roasted coffee and milk chocolate. Taste was straightforward and simple coffee and chocolate. Overall, average, common coffee-style stout. Nothing that stands out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Heathen (1500) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - NOV 19, 2009
THOUGHTS: Very nice — if you like coffee that is. And I do. Great use of coffee. Glad they left it as a regular stout and didn’t ramp it up to Imperial levels. This was a nice change of pace for me. TECHNICAL: Bottle. Poured a dark brown that was nearly black in the glass with slight amber highlights and a large, khaki head that slowly, but mostly diminished, but left excellent lacing. The aroma was moderate to heavy, coffee and roasted malt and light hops. The initial flavor was sweet, bitter and acidic; while the finish was a little sweet, rather bitter and fairly acidic with an average to long duration. There was coffee, roasted malt, a little sugar and cream, a little hops that blended with the bitterness of the coffee. The medium body was creamy and a little oily with lightly tingly carbonation and a lightly astringent finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JoeMcPhee (8746) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 19, 2009
Deep dark beer with a thick yellow-tan head. The nose has a lot of heavy roasty coffeeish character. Some more fresh coffee character and aroma. Richly sweet with a nice sticky malt character. I like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
coldmeat23 (232) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - NOV 18, 2009
Pours black. I can’t even get light penetration around the edges. Two-finger creamy coffee-tan colored head of foam. Great retantion and great lacing, to boot. Sweet maltiness and maple notes hit me first. Nice undertone of big espresso/coffee notes. Slight hints of dark fruits. Nice big chocolate presence. Hints of caramel and vanilla. Very slight hops notes, deep down inside. One of the better smelling coffee brews that I’ve had. Smells like a good cup from a specialty coffee shop. Ooooh, that’s some fine espresso tasting brew in my glass. Nice undertones of bittersweet chocolate. Light malty sweetness. Slight caramel notes. Hint of smoke. Feels nice and smooth. No real bitterness here, despite all of the sharp flavors involved in this brew. I’m sure that all of the smoothness is due to the oatmeal. What a wonderful grain! Good solid medium body. Nice level of carbonation. Slightly too thin for a stout, though, IMO. This is one that I’d love to see them put into regular, year-round, production. I would love to have this on a regular basis. Flavors are great. Nice level of smoothness. Good balance. On top of that, it’s a relatively low 6%ABV. I could do this as a session beer, no problem.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 16, 2009
I thought this to be a pretty average coffee stout. I found it to be more toffee-ish than coffee-ish in the flavor, and a bit thin and not especially bitter. Some of what it lacked in coffee bitterness I thought was made up for in a pretty significant hop bitterness. I thought it was OK, and very quaffable, but not necessarily what I was expecting. Color was black. Head was tan and plentiful. I could tell from the viscousness of the pour that the body was a touch thin. Aroma was sweet like a breakfast stout. Flavor was also lactose-sweetness, and not really coffee-ish. However, there was a significant hop presence in this beer, more significant than other coffee beers in recent memory. Mouthfeel was a touch thin. Pretty good. I’d recommend giving it a try. I bought my bottle at Wine Warehouse in Charlottesville, VA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Slipstream (2096) - USA - NOV 15, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2010 I first had some from a cask at RnH. A mellow, easy stout. I tasted coffee, esters, tobacco, and a light bitterness. I also had a bottle of this, which was labeled Scratch 15. Dark bread, malt, and molasses in the aroma. This time it seemed more like a coffee porter than a stout, but it is now called a coffee stout. Fairly dry and lightly spicey, with some coffee and smoke in there too. A bit prickly on the palate. A big tasty brew - very nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LooseCannon (938) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - NOV 14, 2009
22oz bottle. Pours black in color with full foamy brown head. Aroma sweet, hops and roasted coffee. Taste roasted malt, coffee and chocolate with bitter finish.