Tröegs Scratch 10

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 70   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
The third time just might be the charm—Scratch #10-2008 is our third triple in the Scratch Beer series.

This grand cru has been lovingly aged since late-February, yet still unleashes the slightest hint of alcohol heat.

Scratch #10-2008 also has a triple flavor inspiration combining the caramel/toffee notes of dememera sugar and molasses, with citrus and licorice flavors created by the orange peel and star anise; lastly we create a peppery/spicy finish with the same trappist yeast has been used in each Scratch Beer Triple. <UL> <li>O.G.: 22 Plato <li>I.B.U.’s: 18 <li>Malt: Pils, Crystal <li>Adjuncts: Molasses, Dememera Sugar <li>Juju: Orange Peel, Star Anise, Molasses <li>Yeast: Trappist <li>Hops: Nugget, German Northern Brewers</ul>

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SSKD814 (854) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 22, 2010
Poured from a Troegs growler into my brand new Mad Elf Chalice. This is the first glass from the growler bought on Friday 7/25. I am drinking this as I review it. A- Body is a thick, cloudy, glowing bright amber hue. Pours with a 1-2 finger foamy off-white (rusty) head which quickly disappears completely. No lacing is left behind in the glass. Cloudiness is very thick and uniform. When held up to the light this beer glows bright orange. This would have perfect Belgian Strong Amber appearance-if it had SOME head retention. S- The first scent that come through for me is anise, which is strange because I have never noticed anise in the scent of a beer this light before. A strong exotic fruit fragrance comes through with a boatload of sugar and booze. The nose comes through as incredibly sweet with a kick of phenols to balance it. T-Exotic fruit flavors come through the carbonation and are first to arrive with a hint of anise to mix in.There soft, mildly sweet, and big yeast backbone. A big sugary sweetness, citrus flavors, a cinnamon spiciness and a splash of piny hops kick in for the finish. These flavors fade as an alcohol warmth and bitterness linger along with a nice cinnamon spiciness. P- Body is well carbonated upfront but the carbonation vanishes and the mouthfeel becomes incredibly smooth and velvety on the swallow. Body weight is medium with yeast and alcohol consistencies coming through. O- This is a very nice and unique interpretation of a Grand Cru. I really appreciate the use of Nugget hops as opposed to the floral hops that are generally used for this style. It makes it less bitter and more refreshing on the finish. I would have rated this a bit higher if the alcohol was hidden a little better. It just needs to age more...and I’m not going to age a beer in a growler. I stopped at Troegs on Friday on my home from vacation. Its a 3.5-4 hr drive from my house but is one of my top 3 American craft breweries. I picked up this growler and a growler of Mad Elf. I would have bought a case of this-but I didn’t know how much I was going to like it. But I guess I don’t travel as fast as the Troegs...who only distribute in a 3 hr driving radius. Serving type: growler Reviewed on: 07-28-2008 18:09:18

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
adrian910ss (2361) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 11, 2008
Pours a slightly hazy light orange copper with almost no head. Aroma of black licorice, cotton candy, candied malts and anise. Taste of sweet candied malt, licorice, cotton candy and belgian spices. Has a slight gingery/peppery aftertaste. Not bad at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nejhleader (1261) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 3, 2008
i liked this yummy guy. Nice body, has a nice bit of a sweet aroma, nice flavor, maybe a bit citrus and juniper or something like that, fine brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DocLock (8016) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 22, 2008
Pours hazy gold with nose of rock sugar, florals, Belgian spices, fruit. Tastes fruity, with bready malt, spicy dry florals, and some limey citrus. Rich palate with notable complexity and a nice balance of fruity, spicy, floral, and hoppy elements.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - JUN 2, 2008
Bottle from capones. Pours a Light brown changing to a lighter yellow as you finish the body. Head quickly diminishes to nothing. Aroma is sweet malt and loads of spices. Flavor is sweet malt with a strong overlying spicy yeast character and a good warming. Solid beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jehoey (765) - Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2008
An interesting brew... pours golden and slightly cloudy, but lack head retention. aroma is rootbeer, pepper, and back notes of citrus. flavor is intriging. more rootbeer with with spices. I guess that’s about it actually. I think its more enjoyable than the score recommends though. medium bodied. overall its pretty good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pastor (797) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - AUG 1, 2008
Thanks to a few people who sent me this. Bottle poured into a sniffer hardly produced any head the body was apricot in color and there was a little bit of yeast sediments on the bottom of the glass Aromas of licorice, coriander and wonderful Belgian yeast filled my nose Great taste of spices and sweet candy sugars fill your mouth. Very sweet not to much bitters or pepper notes involved in this one at all no alcohol warmth either so it will sneak up on you Medium mouthfeel not much carbonation on the tongue a little sticky if anything A good Grand Cru I enjoyed every drop very spicy indeed great flavors I think I could drink a couple of these in a sitting as long as I am not driving .I really enjoyed these Great job Tröegs

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
puzzl (3252) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Bottle from CaptainCougar. Aww yeah. Free! He’s the man. This is strong, boozy, and extremely fruity, and after another strong ale has gotten me rather tipsy. +1. Does saying things like that lend credibility to the site? Let’s hope so. Anyway, I like this, I like the sweetness, I like the complexity (lots of spices, fruit, yeast notes), I don’t see what everyone is complaining about with this. But maybe I’m just drunk.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
NachlamSie (2796) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 14, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2008 Bottle, big thanks to BossHossBikes! Pours a dark orange with massive, huge chunks of yeast all over the place. The aroma is very, very juicy with strong orange/tangerine character but no real bitterness. A pleasing level of spices is found in the background. Mouthfeel is nice and sticky, works well with all the fruity junk going on. I’m surprised to see this listed as a Tripel. I don’t get that at all. It seems more like a Belgian golden ale. No real funk or banana is here, just lots of juicy citrus, sticky sweetness, and a spiced finish. There’s hints at candy canes, oranges (lots of orange), cloves, and a slightly drying seltzer water sensation. I thought this beer was quite enjoyable, certainly better than the score indicates. I’ve had quite a few underrated beers lately IMHO.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BossHossBikes (148) - California, USA - OCT 7, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2008 Bottle. Big thanks to the good men at Wooden Keg Liquors (Hagerstown, MD)
First taste: without sediment.
Pours a translucent golden copper with hardly a head. The aroma is of orange with sweet caramel notes with some light spices. There are some difficult to describe notes I’m assuming are the esters mentioned in a few other ratings. The initial flavour is of a tart orange and mildly sweet caramel. As the brew passes, spices explode. The caramel sweetness also explodes, but falls behind the spices. Citrus is still noticeable in the background. Alcohol is quite noticeable and creates a nice warming sensation.
Second taste: with sediment.
Caramel seems to be a little more noticeable and now some very subtle hints of banana. The spiced finish isn’t nearly as harsh as before. The citrus is also a little more prominent in the finish. As subtle the banana is, it seem to be persistent even through the finish. It seems a little more balanced now.
As I drink this, I don’t think ’’’’Abbey Tripel.’’’’ Maybe that’s why it’s underrated. 53 percentile sounds harsh to me.