Tröegs Scratch 11

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 93   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Next up, we present Scratch Beer #11-2008, a Bitter. We used to brew a little number called Tröegs ESB. Even though this beer was retired almost six years ago, we still get numerous Tröegs old-schoolers begging for its return.

Well hang onto your boot straps because Scratch #11 is about as close as we can get to the original ESB without firing up the old brew kettle. The Scratch #11 recipe originates from Chris’ stint at England’s University of Sunderland brewing program. After returning to Colorado the brothers drew on Chris’ experience and brewed pilot batches tweaking that recipe. The ESB production recipe has direct bloodlines to these pilot batches. <ul> <li>O.G.: 13 Plato <li>I.B.U.’s: 48 <li>Malt: Dark Crystal, Roasted Barley, Extra Special Malt <li>Yeast: Thames Valley Ale <li>Hops: East Kent Goldings, Willamette, Chinook</ul>

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JFGrind (1860) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Another fine beer from Troegs. A very well balanced ESB. This brewery is up & coming and I hope more people discover their great beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - MAR 10, 2002
In my oppinion, this is the best beer from Troegs. Better than their pale ale. Great taste and aroma. A good balance between hops and malts. From the ratings I’ve seen, it seems like this is one of the most underrated breweries around. This one is right up there with some of the best english ESB’s.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - DEC 12, 2001
More impressive than their APA. Great use of English hops for an earthy and grassy aroma and flavor. Some caramel malt present in the nose and ample enough malt in the flavor and body. My only complaint is that the malts seemed a bit twangy (I know I said this about Sammy Smith Winter Welcome, but I don’t know how else to describe it). Dry and bitter in the finish. Nice deep caramel color with a smallish head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - AUG 21, 2001
A great find. the best American ESB i’ve come accross. A nice dark color with a soft head. perfect balance between pugent hop flavors and slighly sweet malts.(caramel) very enjoyable. would make a great session beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HighlanderOne (1024) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - AUG 15, 2001
I found this beer to have a unique clear amber color and I enjoyed its kinda smoky malt flavor. The hazy head lasted through the beer. Can’t wait for my next

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - AUG 4, 2001
Not a bad ESB, but slightly hoppy for my tastes. Very nice maltyness and caramel undertones. Slightly dry and roasty. Good once in a while, but not as a regular ESB.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 14, 2001
A balanced & smooth ESB - excellent beer!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2001
Nice and drinkable

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 18, 2001
decent beer, but nothing to write home about

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2546) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - MAR 17, 2001
I think this is one of the best American ’ESB’s’ I’ve had. Appropriately, it had a full malty palate, with firm English hops giving it the right grassy, resiny flavor. Remember, an ESB should be brewed to a higher gravity and should end up with no shortage of malt flavor. I esp enjoyed their use of caramel malt.