Tröegs Scratch 31 (Wine Barrel Aged)

(RETIRED)
Tröegs Scratch 31 (Wine Barrel Aged)
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 4.53/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
Scratch 31 aged in oak wine barrels.

TomDecapolis (4427) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - JUL 27, 2010
Firkin at CAH. Pours a hazy golden orange with a small bubbly white head. Aroma of pine, oak, various hoppy citrus notes and light caramel. Flavor of mixed citrusy hop notes, nice oak character and light caramel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
egajdzis (5253) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2010
[Firkin @ CAH} Hazy amber color with a small, off white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of grapes, wine, vanilla, citrus, floral hops, pine, tropical fruits, and caramel malts. Taste of citrus fruits, pine, red wine, vanilla, toasted malts, some toffee, and a bitter, spicy, hoppy finish.

DocLock (7703) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2010
Life can be busy, unrewarding, and downright depressing at times. Mondays also suck ass, especially when they are garbage days, and the pool you blew up for your daughter with your own lungs deflates as you leave for work, not only deflating the cheap plastic inflatable pool but her hopes for swimming later that day. Anyway, I got a text from Dan Bengal, the webmaster of the CAH e-mail notification system, informing me that they were having a Habitat for Humanity and Troegs event starting at 6. I knew Citra (Scratch 31) was excellent, but I did not have huge high hopes for Barrel-aged Citra, owing to the fact that barrel aging does not seem to complement IPAs as well as it does dark beer styles. I got there at 5:45 PM, ordered food with my wife and daughter, ordered a Victory Summer of Love and informed the waitress to please bring me a BA Citra as soon as the firkin was punctured. She did so, and I was blown away. The pour was turbid canary golden with 1finger off-white head. Nose was huge grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, mild oaky, heavy hops, and vanilla. Just a luscious, delightful nose here. The taste, my god the taste, hoppy, malty, well balanced, smooth as silk, with well integrated oak, pineapple, grapefruit, vanilla, and tangerine. Dense and complex palate that is juicy, a bit oakier late, and stays complex, balanced, unique, and delicious throughout. I had two pints of this, and wish I could have drank the entire firkin, that’s how damned good it was. Get ya some, or I’ll be there with my entourage of crack whores grabng grolwers by the dozen. My god do I wish they’d bottle this stuff. What an amazing beer!