overall

RATINGS: 115   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Enjoy this as a token of our appreciation. With the demise of Tröegs Oatmeal Stout, this long-forgotten recipe serves as an inspiration and a heartfelt thanks to our faithful stout fans.

What’s special here? We start with a seductive malty sweetness, combine it with hints of chocolate and roasted flavors and round out the texture and taste with a healthy helping of oats. A three-hop blend brings perfect balance to the sweet malt adding a dry finish to this big beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Stine (1629) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 4, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2008 Poured from a 12 oz. Reddened oak appearance, thin in consistency and nearly transparent. Aroma presents a pungent and horrid predominance of dirty diaper that is never engulfed or replaced. Earth and banana lay quietly beneath. Flavor is quite charred, with light fruits, dark chocolate, bathroom alcohol and plenty of soap from an imbalance of black malt. Astringent. Oatmeal might be expected to smooth this rough edge, but that polishing touch is hard to locate. Vegetal tones begin to creep in with steamed cauliflower and onion. Warm and slightly spicy palate, but quite thin, acting more like some kind of acrid coffee porter than an imperial stout. Finishes dryly with an apathetic plastic edge. It really is a weird confluence of flavors and none of it really works, resulting in something wholly unsatisfying. Thanks for sharing, Mike. 2/3/5/3/9 2.2 One year later. Thanks to Mike Todl! Chocolate donut and earth aroma; lactose, vanilla extract, black beans and anise. And a thick anise and chocolate flavor that’s got a lot of herbal and spicy, invigorating character about it. Age has treated it quite kindly. 6/4/7/4/14 3.5

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jehoey (765) - Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2007
12 oz bottle and 10th anniversary: i found these beers to be different, vastly different for some reason. At the 10 anniversary, I found this beer amazing, lots of roast, burnt, and coffee in the aroma, much the same i the flavor, with a velvety creamy mouth feel. However, out of the bottle the aroma, was somewhat roasted, but not really powerful, with some smoke, ash, and coffee, and there seemed to be some oats in the aroma as well. Pours dark black with a tremendous head. Really looks great in a sniffter. the head eventually goes down a bit and laces well on the glass. palate, was a little thin for an imperial stout, but was still ample. Pretty good beer nonetheless. I’ll see if I get any other out of the case that are like the beer I had at the festival.

adrian910ss (2371) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2007
Pours a very dark brown, bordering on black with a medium creamy and frosty tan head. Aroma of tangy citrus, pine, malts, smoke and hops. Taste is full of tangy citrus, roasted malts, pine and smoke. Alcoholic finish. Not your typical imperial stout, but very nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
3fourths (8238) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 27, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 14, 2008 I had a few pours at the Troegs 10th anniversary festival, and now I have a bottle open in front of me for a proper rating. Nose has some heavy yeast and ash notes, a bit disconnected from the mocha and cocoa and roast, which honestly doesn’t show up that well in the nose, more so tasted than smelled. It’s around 9.3%, and it feels about that on the tongue - not entirely thick or rich, but decent enough. High roast, some char, some heavy oat and grain flavors, some ashy mocha and lactic roast. It’s okay, and maybe I’m being too critical, but I guess it doesn’t knock my socks off. Reminds me actually of Otto’s Jolly Roger, with the smoke and vanilla notes, but overall I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t say I was a little disappointed with this one. Still, it’s a solid oatmeal stout (feels like it’s just under imperial/double strength), and it well deserves a high 3, I think, but nothing much more than that. As always it is made very well, but I have to question the recipe - good but not spectacular, and I think the amount of oatmeal is the main problem. Tone it down, let the oatmeal play around with some smoked malt and some chocolate malt and I think you have something really good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Illinest (14) - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2007
Bottle: Dk brown pour with medium head. Aroma of outs, raisins, grassy hops. Smooth and malty with nice presence of hops. Although I never cared much for the original Troegs outmeal stout, this is a much better beer in my opinion.