Tröegs Scratch 74

(RETIRED)
Tröegs Scratch 74
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 4/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 68   EST. CALORIES: 213   ABV: 7.1%
SCRATCH #74 - American Brown Ale ---Suppose a lanky, mild-mannered and malcontent Brown Ale from across the pond started its journey to America, but along the way decided to bulk up and develop a boisterous attitude. Then you might consider this latest Tröegs concoction to be an unabashedly Americanized version of the quiet British style. Bursting with intense hop bitterness and boasting a beefed-up body, this latest Scratch Beer could quite possibly become the Intercontinental Champion of Brown Ales. Belt up!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
orangesol (688) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 26, 2012
Took me awhile to write this one up but here it goes...Served on-tap at the brewery. A - Pours slightly hazy dark brown with a small half finger tall off white head leaving spotty streaks of lace down parts of the glass. S - Smells of pungent hops, both piney and citric, and the more typical brown ale aromas of caramel, toffee and nuts. Very nice nose on this one. T - Starts off with a big hop bite that never really fades away. A touch of citric fruit quickly gets enveloped by the piney hops, caramel and toffee sweetness and a light nutty flavor. Finish is pretty hoppy, lingering on the palate long after the finish. M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, hoppy feel from start to finish with little to no booze present. O - One of the better Scratch Beers of recent times. I usually don’t like brown ales but this one was very flavorful and easy to drink. I wish it would have lasted a little longer so I could have a few more, alas it is all gone now.

mfaulke (92) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 6, 2012
I’ve had this a few times on draft at brewery. Long story short, it’s basically a brown IPA. Don’t typically go for this style but the hops adds a lot of depth to this brew that I haven’t gotten from other browns. Definitely worth a try. I’m probably bias in my rating, given my close proximity to the Troegs Brewery, but I admit it. I really look forward to these scratches every month or so and it seems like they roll out 2-3 at a time lately. Interesting take on a typically blah style for me.