Tröegs Scratch 86

(RETIRED)
Tröegs Scratch 86
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.73/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 21   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Thanks to an epic Mayan fail, our Scratch Beer series continues into 2013! We kick off the new year with the return to a style that can be traced all the way back to – if memory serves us correctly – Scratch #7. Scratch Beer scholars may also remember when we revisited the Weizenbock for Scratch #57, but threw caution to the wind by adding cocoa powder, vanilla beans, and a variety of berries into the mix. This time around, we’re keeping things simple. Our take on this classic Bavarian wheat beer incorporates 50% malted wheat (German law requires that a Weizenbier, regardless of strength, must utilize at least 50% wheat) and German Northern Brewer hops. The result is our interpretation of a style steeped in the rich heritage of traditional German brewing. Prost!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beerathon (1278) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 22, 2013
Nicely spiced weizenbock with decent ABV. Hazy golden orange with thin head. Corrieander in the nose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
orangesol (913) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2013
Served on-tap in the Troegs Tasting Room. A - Pours murky brown with a nice one finger frothy white head leaving small trails of lace down parts of the glass. S - Smells of Belgian spice, bubble gum , banana, clove, bready wheat and sweet caramel malt. Nothing over the top, it met my expectations. T - Starts off with some sugary sweetness mixed with some earthy yeast esters and clove spice. As it dies off the bubble gum, banana and some toffee show up to round things off. Finish is sweet heat, leaving the palate dried long after the finish. M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Flavors are well balanced amongst themselves. Booze is evident from start to finish but it isn’t too bad until the very end of the glass. O - Gotta admit, I am not the biggest fan of this style so take my review with a grain of salt. That being said I enjoyed this one. The last scratch weizen was god awful so compared to that one this was quite nice. It began to wear on me toward the end of the glass, I doubt I would get another full pint of this but a half is definitely doable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
matty (217) - Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 19, 2013
Draft at the brewery. Pours a muddy copper color with a slightly off-white head that settles down to a thin film. Aroma is very sweet, some orange, banana, vanilla and maybe some spices? Medium-full body, sweet malt flavor with a slight burnt caramel background with a sweet finish. Very good, my wife who doesn’t know beer loves it..."It should be bottled!". Excellent entry!