overall

RATINGS: 588   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Troegs Sunshine Pils is hand-crafted in our small brewery using only malted barley, noble hops and bottom-fermenting yeast. This pilsner delivers a refreshing hop bitterness and a zesty, vibrant finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - SEP 9, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2008 2008: Whoops. Now the hops are lighter along with the malt. I am just not getting the light, wonderful lemony and berry flavors that I used to from this beer. What a shame. 2007: The malt is lighter this year, but the hops are the same. The lighter malt doesn’t hurt the beer at all. It’s still the finest beer in the world. If I had only one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it would have to be this one. 2004: Year after year this proves to be absolutely perfect. It is tough to remember liking any beer this much. The most quaffable, fun but still interesting beer in existence. 2003: It is rather amazing how much of this I drank this summer. Finally, in early September, I realized whtat the elusive magical taste was: blueberry. This crazy hopped beer actually has a blueberry quality that works perfectly. One of my favorite beers in the world. 2003: Very lively beer. The malt is strikingly similar to Victory Lager. The difference is in the terribly long dry finish. It’s hard to overstate how long this finish is, really. At any rate, maybe not for those who want a very bitter Pils (like DeGroens), but a real treat nonetheless.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
argo0 (11181) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 24, 2002
Golden with white head that provides nice lacing as it dissipates. Mild sweet hoppy aroma, slightly lemony. Taste is mildly bitter with little distinctiveness, until the swallow, when it turns moderately bitter, and lingers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bunny99 (6) - USA - JUN 12, 2002 does not count
I discovered this beer while passing through Harrisburg. Didn’t know they brewed a Pils, but I’m glad I tried it. Very clear(almost too), straw colored, nice hop flavor with soft maltiness. Finished a little dry with good bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JUN 11, 2002
A great summertime pils. great aroma without being overpowering like prima. I noticed lots of hops (saaz?) mostly a nice subtle spicy taste but i didnt notice too much of a flowery taste like some others may have noticed. Very refreshing summer brew. Troegs does it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Amber1 (32) - USA - JUN 5, 2002
pours nicely with big upfront hoppy aroma as a pilsner should, I’m guessing czech hops. subtle bitterness and hints of caramel malt. very good pilsner.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2002
Didn’t mind this pilsner too much. Citrusy (lemony in my opinion) finish, and definite grassy or flowery flavors that really werent that unappealing. Decent summertime beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - MAY 20, 2002
Clear gold with hints of orange. Very hoppy for a pils. Hops are very, very grassy in nature. Not a whole lot of crispness or fruitiness in here, mostly grassy hops with a toasty/nutty finish. Seems kind of like ale yeasts were used just from the finish on this one. Not bad, but won’t get this again.

1.2
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Aubrey (3417) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAY 15, 2002
Super-clear gold w/frothy white head. Has a strange ’flower’ taste. And I don’t mean ’hoppy-flowery’. I mean ’flower-flowery’; as if you were munching on a bitter rose petal. A little rough-tasting up front. Strange off flavors: soapy bitterness / burnt malt / cardboard / synthetic, plastic-like flavors. I respect Tröegs, and I wonder if this is skunked or light damaged. But it just came out, and the beer store I got it from takes care of their beer. If it isn’t ’damaged,’ this is one whacked out beer that went off course.