overall
Style: Premium Lager
Qinqdao, China
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 1751   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.04   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Tsingtao Beer has a pleasant aroma and a well-balanced taste. It has high-malty flavor and well-hopped character. Tsingtao is produced with spring water from Laoshan, a mountain area famous throughout China for the purity of its water. The domestically-grown hops used to brew Tsingtao are of such high quality that they are also exported to European breweries. Tsingtao also uses the finest yeast and barley imported from Australia and Canada in its brewing process.

NOTE: Under this entry, rate ONLY exported Tsingtao that roughly matches the ABV and local Tsingtao that matches it completely. If it differs in any way and doesn’t match the other entries under the brewer, please send in a bug report with the alcohol percentage, degrees plato (important!), the GTIN and preferably a link to a picture of both the front and the back label so that we can set up an entry.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
ghawener (1458) - San Salvador, EL SALVADOR - MAY 6, 2004
Bottle: Pale yellow with small head. Taste is flat and stale with some hints of rice.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAY 5, 2004
The only thing that I like about this lager is listening to goober try to pronounce it. If you are a 14 year old reading this, please say "CHING-DOW." I will from time to time order this at a chinese restaurant when I’m dining on something really spicy. You see, the ethanol is really the only saving grace to this fluid. Does this brewery really import yeast and malted barley to make this? I didn’t know that China imported anything...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - MAY 3, 2004
Bottled. Pale golden beer with a fine, steadily rising head. Strong rice aroma and flavour. The first sniff and taste of this beer send you reaching immediately for the details on the bottle. ‘Rice’ stands out proudly on the bottom of the label. Not a great larger but at least they're not hiding the fact they use adjuncts. Low bitterness and a distinct lack of malt and hops.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
Pailhead (4820) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - MAY 1, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2004 Bottle: As soon as I poured the beer I could smell the skunkiness from arms length. Pale yellow in appearance with a good white head. Tasted just as bad as it smelled, skunky. Bitter aftertaste. I’m sure this was just a really bad skunked beer, but to date this is the worst beer I’ve ever had and I can’t see myself giving it a second chance to see if it was just a bad bottle. *******Re-Rate******* OK, I summoned the courage to try this again and it was not as bad as the first time. Still skunky, but not as overpoweringly skunky as my first attempt. Still not good, but not as bad as my initial rating of 0.8. I must have had a really bad bottle.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 1, 2004
Bottled. Why green bottles I’ll never know. Beer smelled and tasted skunky. Once you get past that tasted like any other lager.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 25, 2004
Very pale yellow pour. Rocky head and some spotty lacing. Very sharp notes of malts and a bit of hops. Slightly yeasty. Flavor not so acrid. The hops are citrusy and the malts are sweet. Bitter finish to an average pils.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jayson2425 (167) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - APR 25, 2004
Smells really skunky but the taste isnt bad. This is good to have with some chinese left overs

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Audio (18) - san diego, California, USA - APR 19, 2004
This used to be my favorite beer. Then i think i over did it. Now, it's just nice to have here and there, but nothing special anymore.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
johndoughty (3994) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - APR 19, 2004
A bit like drinking liquid straw although not the worst pils I have tasted. Thinnish body with no real edge to it. Not one I would try again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
Braudog (5748) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - APR 16, 2004
Poured with very large head over a standard-looking yellow and relatively still beer. I could smell the very sweet malt from 2 feet away as the head settled; up closer a bit of citrus comes through to the nose. This is a mellow drinker, with a tartness the primary flavoring. Other than being terribly watery-feeling, this isn't as bad as I'd feared. Could balance well with Soy Sauce-soaked munchies.