overall

RATINGS: 532   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Hops!!! A rich harvest ale, deep gold & and extravagantly hopped. Carefully aged with whole flower Mt. Hood & Cascades.

edman99 (1) - USA - JUL 20, 2002 does not count
Other than one beer that comes close, a glass of Rocket #5 I once had at the Bear Republic Brewery in Healdsburg, CA -- I have to say Tuppers Hop Pocket Ale is the finest hopped IPA I have ever tasted. I am fortunate to ride my bike past Old Dominion Brewing often, on the Washington and Old Dominion Bike Trail (W&OD) , and am able to stop for the cask conditioned version, as well as purchase it in bottles at local supermarkets. And, evenbetter than the oftquoted beer maxim-- ’Think global buy local,’ its owners actually give half their profits to homeless. How many other beers do that? Excellent beer. And, I’ve been to Belgium several times.

MRPIGGIE (4) - Coral Gables, Florida, USA - AUG 25, 2007 does not count
For me, Tuppers is the definition of what an American Pale Ale should be. The aroma is bold and inviting with the perfect level of bitterness providing a unique flavor and after taste. I discovered this gem in the late 90s when I lived in Annapolis. A dear friend living in Herndon, introduced me to the bottled version then taking me to the brewery. Every where I travel, I look for it, but am sad to report, with little success. I now reside in South Florida, love Tuppers cant get it but make it a point to to have a few when in the DC area.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jwest (10) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - JUL 18, 2003
This is a very strongly hopped beer. It will destroy your palate until you've finished half a bottle. The finish is very long with strong pine notes. That said, it's my favorite day-to-day beer but it definitely takes some getting used to.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
balzac99 (2) - USA - MAY 18, 2002 does not count
This is what makes beer beer. Clean, crisp, and entirely enjoyable. If you want something sweet, make Kool-aid. If you want beer, check this out. The best beer I’ve ever had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
solaka (1) - Pembroke, BERMUDA - JUN 30, 2005 does not count
A fantastic IPA. Tremendous floral hops aroma and terrific taste. I only wish it was more widespread. I live outside the US and have had problems getting my local market to special order a couple of cases.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hadesvi (1) - USA - FEB 1, 2008 does not count
delish. very good pale ale, fairly bitter with all the hops. The Ale has a good color and no after taste to speak of- drink one after two after three.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jgb9348 (4694) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - JAN 10, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2003 Vintage: 16-October-2002
Hazy orange in colour with brown, amber & ruby highlights with a fairly large dense off-white head. Simply the best looking American Pale I've ever seen! Smells of grapefruit, citrus & piney hops, and a bit of malt. Once again, the nicest aroma I've ever smelt from an American Pale. Bright citrus taste with mellow hops (this beer has age ~11 months) as well as the perfect balance of malt. Aftertaste bittered from the hops, but sweetened from the citrus characteristics. I've said it before, and i'll say it again: this is one of the best beers I've ever had, and the best American Pale in my book. Search out and find this one, or contact me and I'll send some to you. I bought this 12 ounce bottle at Giant Foods in Manassas, Virginia and sampled it on 30-August-2003. Rating for this tasting: 10,5,9,4,18.

Hazy crimson colour, hoppy-citrusey smell. Very hoppy/bitter taste. The hoppiest beer i've had to date, and since i'm a hop-freak and from Virginia, it is my second favourite beer of all-time! This is probably the thirtieth time i've had this beer, and it keeps getting better and better!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - FEB 9, 2004
Possibly the best APA out there...amazingly hoppy yet definitely not an IPA. Soft but assertive nose and tons of malts to fall back on. Lasting soapy head. Incredible multi-dimensional grain + muted citrusy hop aroma. Seek this one out!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hophead1962 (11) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 12, 2004
Great aroma...flowery. Amazing flavor, great hops bitterness... Nice Brussel's Lace. If I had to drink only one type of beer for the rest of my life...this would be it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 27, 2006
This beer was designed to showcase hops. Billed as a "harvest ale", the harvest here of course, is bail loads of hops. A hop pocket is the long pillowcase like sack, that hops are stored in. Tuppers’ Hop Pocket Ale is brewed and dry hopped with Mt. Hood and Cascade hop varieties. Those are the signature citric, piney, zesty hops that are found in classic examples of American Pale Ale and American IPA. Hop Pocket has earned a reputation nation wide among beer geeks, as being an outstanding hoppy ale. I always have plenty of this beer on hand in my beer fridge, and usually have this, New River Pale Ale(another OD product) or a Victory Hop Devil on hand, when I need my hop fix. Tuppers’ Hop Pocket Ale pours to a deep golden color with a nice white head, and a good carbonation. The nose on this beer is fantastic. Dry hopping, which is adding additions of whole flower hops in the hop back, or to condition the beer on hops, really give this beer, very vibrant hop aromatics. Hop Pocket is just bursting with hop aroma. Very fragrant waves of zesty, citric hop aromas flood the nose. The palate is a firm malt back bone, really good pale malt flavors, with just a touch of caramel malt as well. This is a nice back drop to more hop flavors, that coat the tongue. This beer finishes with a long, dry, citric hop bitterness that lingers. Really a fantastic hoppy ale. Throw an olive in this beer, it is as dry as a martini. This beer is the perfect aperitif beer, it livens up the taste buds for sure, and is just bursting with hop aromas and flavors. Bitter beers with great hop character are the perfect foil for very spicy cuisine. I would match this beer with Thai, Mexican, or Indian food. I’m happy this beer is one of my local brews, and I can’t get enough of the stuff. Because it is a contract brew, and not exclusively an Old Dominion product, it can be found outside the DC Metro Area in other select markets.