Tutts Clump Rum Cask Cider

Brewed by Tutts Clump Cider
Style: Cider
Reading, England

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.79   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Available in 500ml bottles and in 3, 5, 10 and 20 litre bag in box, 9 gallon non-pressurized barrels (for pub hand pumps) and 5 gallon returnable barrels.
This medium/dry Real Cider is handmade from a variety of eating, cooking and crab apples mainly from within West Berkshire, which has been fermented and matured in oak rum barrels.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Fin (7040) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - APR 11, 2013
Bottle that I picked up from Millets Farm, Frilford Heath, Nr Abingdon, Oxon, Saturday 6th April 2013 consumed at home on Thursday 11th April 2013. Pours clear gold with very, very little carbonation. More medium sweet than medium dry, the rum cask ageing leaving a distinctive edge to this, very much pear drops on nose and also in mouth. I have to say that I am not a fan of Rum cask aged beers and therefore assumed that I would feel similarly about this, however it fascinates me. It is a very flavoursome cider, tangy but a sweet tanginess, the sweetness is a little too much at time and I wish there was a little more juicy appleyness.On reflection I think that the Rum cask ageing is doing this a disservice, a very good cider is now not quite so good, message to oneself avoid Rum cask beers, ciders anything like the plague. A6 A4 T6 P3 Ov11 3.0