overall

RATINGS: 177   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
This light-bodied ale has an amazing chili aroma that jumps out at you. We infuse this beer with fresh Serrano, Habenero, Jalapeno, Anaheim, and Fresno chili peppers. Surprisingly, the chili flavor is strong but not overpowering and comes through without lending too much heat. Billy’s Chilies is a very drinkable beer and pairs perfectly with chicken, steak and especially tacos. It finishes dry with a spiciness that will leave you thirsty for more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Headbanger (3360) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - OCT 4, 2006
22oz bomber-A pale gold with no head. Aroma of peppers and more peppers. Taste of peppers from front to middle. Was expecting more from aroma.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ungstrup (29694) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - AUG 17, 2008
Draft. An unclear golden beer with a medium light orangey head. The aroma is sweet with strong notes of chili, that tears in the nose. The flavor is sweet malty with a nice medium strong chili note - not too much, but it still leaves a slight chili burn on the palate and tongue.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
tokyogoat (1503) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 3, 2009
Had this one on tap while on vacation in Boulder. Poured a syrupy yellow that was not hazy, and had a head that disappeared into a halo in little time. Smelled of candied chilies. Almost like what I imagine a chili air freshener smelling like. Tasted extremely syrupy and heavy on just chili. Its a one note powerhouse of chilies and nothing else. Actually fun for the first sip, but then it just gets to be overkill. Actually very hot in your throat form the chilis, and spicy food doesnt faze me. It would be fun in 4oz servings, but just diarrhea fodder in larger servings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
potbeerjob (1343) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 12, 2009
Draught. Not my style. pale yellow with thin white head. Aroma is Chillies dominated. Flavor is also but with light hops is noticed later in flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jumpjet2k (314) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 5, 2010
Bottle. A pale orange in the glass, lightly hazy, with a small head and not much retention. Nose is vegetal - like green bell peppers, if you ask me - and a little chili heat. Flavor mostly just hot, with more of the chili (vegetable) flavors and a little malt sweetness. Certainly the best chili beer I’ve had, but it’s a little one-dimensional. I thought I’d want to drink a full bottle, but it’s seeming less likely now. If I had some tacos to go with it, I have a feeling I’d be enjoying it much more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
tennessejed420 (927) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 1, 2010
bottle. Pours murky orange with small off white bubbly head. Aroma is all pepper, if I was a pepper connoisseur maybe I could distinguish between different pepper tones, but all I can detect now is a bunch of pepper. Bell pepper, hot peppers, and a spiciness. Taste delivers all pepper flavor, which is at first balanced by malts, but on the finish surrenders to a spiciness which is definitely dominating. This is my first chili beer, and it is hard for me to evaluate it. On one hand, I feel like what I traditionally think of as beer is overpowered by the chili. I like spicy food and think that chili could be good in beer but it seems to be too much. On the other hand, well, I kind of like it. Still, definitely couldn’t drink more than one of these. Glad I tried it though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
taphandle (1135) - Texas, USA - DEC 4, 2010
Dark yellow, clear, not a lot of head. Aroma is spicy, but of bell peppers of all things. Some malt to the taste, then some pepper - mostly green chilies and bell pepper, then the heat comes through in the finish. It’s ok, but I’d like to see one of these done as a slightly darker beer with more hops and a bit less chilies.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
troyc (2473) - Illinois, USA - JAN 4, 2011
[Bottle] Pours a bright amber color with virtually no head. Spicy pepper aroma with some vegetable and grass mixed in. The taste is of hot peppers (not surprisingly) and some cornbread and biscuits. The heat starts with the first sip and steadily builds into a full mouth burn. Average mouthfeel and palate. I highly recommend drinking this with food. I didn’t, but would probably enjoyed it more if I had.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
hayduke (3423) - Eureka, California, USA - SEP 21, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 23, 2012 Sent to me by Strykzone. I liked it better than he did . Pours a cloudy gold with a quickly disappearing white head and no lacing at all. Nose is mostly chilies. Medium in body with a foamy and fizzy mouthfeel. Flavor is some malts, but chile dominates. A chili beer is what it is, and this wile this one is up there with the better ones.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jerm719 (117) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - AUG 17, 2013
Light watery beer. Flavors of bell pepper, corn, mild malt. Mild spicy finish, almost peppercorn -like... I love chilies but this is not for me...