overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 114   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
It is a ~8.5% ABV Black Saison. We fermented it with a Belgian saison yeast until it hit about 7% then we added our house ale yeast to finish it. Once it was done fermenting, we added it to new American oak barrels with a medium-heavy toast. Then we spiked it with Brettanomyces Bruxellensis. The "Brett" is an isolated culture from Belgium that gives the classic barnyard, horse blanket character and pleasing tartness to lambic style beers. The tartness is mild but noticeable and adds a wonderful complexity to the beer. In alchemy, Philosopherís Stone is a reference to the substance believed to be able to turn metal into gold. Similarly, we believe we have taken a normal beer style and turned it into something extraordinary.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - OCT 15, 2006
Smoky aroma. Virtually opaque body with reddish hues when held up to light. Very little visibile carbonation; small, light tan head that eroded quickly into almost nothing. Sour flavor initially. After a few sips actually kind of nice. I like it. Has some hop profile despite being only 24IBU. Undercarbonated, especially for the style. Iím not an expert on Brett, and didnít realize that was in this beer until I saw the commercial description, a day after rating it. Looking back, Iím not sure if I would have agreed with the "barnyard, horse blanket" character. There was something unique that I liked, but I wouldnít say that there is anything overly extraordinary about this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Metalhead (632) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - OCT 14, 2006
Interesting tho not stellar. Aroma and taste was of an earthy Belgian sour. It was not bad but no way could I drink a 750ml of this. Tried at Di Carlos beer taste. Iíll give em an E for effort tho.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
thegreenrooster (3310) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 13, 2006
Pour is a dark black but a little light shines through. Aroma is nice. Starts out very yeasty, spicy and pepper like a saison but it also has some dark chocolate malts that show up. Flavor is lots of tart fruit with some roasted malts. Points for trying something new but nothing really puts this over the top.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
WisconsinBeer (711) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - OCT 9, 2006
Mildly sour and fruity but also somewhat dry. The flavors of this beer are intiriguing but the palate is somewhat watery and flat. Hints of oak and roasted malts. Seems to posess a little bit of Belgian tartness to it, maybe that is the brett. Overall, seemingly decent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Tmoney99 (11103) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 5, 2006
Bottle from Riverís Bend. Poured dark brown color with a minimal frothy white head that mostly diminished with fair lacing. Heavy tart fruit, citrus, licorice and alcohol aroma. Medium to full body with a sticky texture. Medium complex balanced flavor with a medium sour finish of long duration. Interesting once.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
TerryR (384) - Oswego, Illinois, USA - OCT 4, 2006
Dark brown with virtually no head. Aroma is roasted malt, dark fruit and some sour notes. Flavor has roasted malt, coffee and a distict sourness. Thin body. Interesting take on the style, but it did not do it for me.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - OCT 3, 2006
Pours dark brown with a weak tan head. My first impression of the nose was that of a hamper of dirty laundry. Faint notes of malt, dough, maybe fennel, dried fruit, coffee. None very appealing. Weak and watery. The flavor was weak coffee and diluted Flemish sour. Just didnít do it for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 2, 2006
Bottle bought from Riversbend. Pours dark brown, almost black in color. Light brown head that dissipated quickly. Smells like it has a bit of roasty malt that seems to be hiding some other smells. As I explore deeper into the smell, it seems there is some dark fruit that is hidden under that roasted malt smell, but I cannot place it. Logic tells me it might be some sort of blackberry, or something similar. As I begin to explore the flavor, I notice a hint of that roasty malt I smelled, but more of a light sourness to the beer. I also taste just a hint of fruitiness, possible some citrus involved here. Carbonation seems to be mild, but fits with this beer very well. Everything melds together in this very delicious beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 1, 2006
Dark brown color with a chestnut rim when held to the light. Only a few bubbles that circle the rim of the glass. Sour dough bread and lightly roasted malt in the aroma. Really not much in the nose that entices me to continue. Tart and roasty flavors. Light berry and nouveau qualities. Hints of oak and a mild attic dust. A poormanís Panil.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
vyvvy (4138) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - SEP 30, 2006
22 oz bomber. Pours black with a reddish hue when put to the light. It has a tan soapy head that goes away fairly quick. The aroma is spicy and earthy like a saison, but there are roasted malt and anise characteritics that are odd. Medium body with light carbonation. The taste is unique to say the least. Starts fruity (grape / smooth citrus) and sharp, but with some roasted malt. The finish has a semi-sharp yeasty spice bite and still has the roasty qualities thatís odd for the style. There are also hints of anise and coffee on the finish. This is a different attempt on the style that worked for me.