overall

RATINGS: 46   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.27   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
We spent a long night of brainstorming, around a few pints, to create a beer suitable to big our good friends adieu. We found that Reprieve Schwarzbier is the Artisan lager for the job. This black beer is a Bohemian Pilsner gone dark. German malts, noble hops, and lager yeast combine for our take on this traditional beer style. Though they may be moving on, we won’t let the lights go dark.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Treebs (872) - , Illinois, USA - OCT 4, 2012
My first ever Schwarzbier. Poured from bomber into Founders snifter. A: Pours very dark, almost like stout. 1.5 finger dirty pearl head leaving a nice lace as it dissipates. S: Big barley and malts. Smells like a traditional pilsner. So interesting. T: Traditional barley with a nice malt backbone. Some hops on the backend as well. M: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Filmy mouth feel with a great hop lingering taste. O: This was a very strange beer. I feel like it showed several qualities of a few beers, but in the end it was its own. I enjoyed the taste, but I don’t have anything to compare it to. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 05-19-2011

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Vir4030 (494) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 10, 2011
Appears a dark reddish brown while pouring, but a thin black in the glass. Thick head that goes down pretty fast, and a mildly fruity aroma, like black cherries, or is that the black color? Slightly roasted flavor which I’m not a big fan of. It’s not quite as smooth as I would enjoy. The fruitiness is also not my thing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
edwardbass (478) - Illinois, USA - APR 22, 2011
This is my first schwarzbier, unless black ales qualify. Kind of like a porter with less of that what I call "sour" bite. A nice bitterness at the end preceeded by dark roasted malt. I’m not a big fan of this style, but I am a fan of Two Brothers, so I usually try each new one they release to maintain my loyalty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bseribeer (128) - Illinois, USA - SEP 16, 2011
Enjoyable brew from Two Brothers. Pours a dark brown with a thick, tan head. Aroma light coffee and faint berries. Taste is sweet with an easy finish. Faint hops. Reminds me of plums. Very light on the palate, deceiving with the dark tint and thick head. Overall, very easy drinking lager from Two Brothers. I wouldn’t go out of my way to get this but if it is around, I would drink plenty of it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
tmohr (37) - Illinois, USA - OCT 22, 2011
22 oz bottle. It’s black, of course. Hoppy nose, a bit of bitterness, kind of short on maltiness. Not bad, but there are several better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
dragonlady1010 (30) - Illinois, USA - JUN 23, 2011
Served at a beer dinner in Plainfield IL. Deep amber brown but light enough to be clear. Beige head that dissipates slowly to a light lace. Aroma has notes of chocolate, nuts, coffee, and slightly spicy hops. Flavor has notes of chocolate, nuts, with more spicy hops than the aroma advertised with an appropriate amount of bitterness. Body is medium backed by good carbonation. Finish is balanced and nutty.