overall

RATINGS: 3578   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dpjuart (1098) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 18, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2007 12 oz. bottle. Pours hazy orange with a thick white head. Good lacing. Floral hop nose with hints of carmel. Nice fully carbed mouth feel. Head sticks around. Wow. Hop explosion. Very earthy hop flavor with a nice malt backbone, Carmel malt flavors. A very nice IPA. One of the best I’ve had. To me, tastes more of a traditional English ESB, probably because of the hop varietals, although lacking in malt character (ESB-wise). Big fan. Definately glad I bought a case. EDIT: 12/7/07-There’s definately a lemony/citrus taste to this also. Fantastic beer. One of my favorites.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
iswain1914 (19) - USA - OCT 17, 2007
Fuck yeah Bells. You continue to leave the slew a shit american microbreweries int the dust. Perfect IPA....I would love to taste a Bells double IPA. Have y’all made one?.....I’m in Florida and have only tasted five of your fine brews....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dogfishho (669) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - OCT 17, 2007
Poured from a bottle, this beer appeared to have evidence of more chill haze than I would have expected. The head was large, though thin, but had good retention. The aroma was full of somewhat sharp flowery hops with citrus in the background. Flavor is milder than expected, but absolutely deliciously balanced. It’s mildly sweet with a smattering of grapefruit and a little pine on top of the crisp bitterness of the hops. The mouthfeel is delicously silky and crisp. This is an interesting beer to me. Somehow the overall experience is greater than the some of it’s individual characteristics.

yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - OCT 17, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2009 Bottle pour but very good match to what I had @ HDG on tap. Great IPA. Super well balanced aroma and taste. Citrus, caramel, sweet fruits. Nice hoppy taste balanced by caramel malts and plums and citrus and pine. Deliciousness is what it is.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Very good IPA here. This is one of those beer that you can smell from across the bar. A gigantic hop aroma full of citrus, grapefruit, and tropical fruit causes your mouth to water. Flavor is very hoppy with a crisp bitter kick. Awesome beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 14, 2007
From dra19 via trade. Thank you Dennis! The pour was a barely cloudy thin copper color with a decent light tan head that only provided minimal lacing. The aroma was a pleasant blend of floral hops, sweet citrus and some barely noticeable caramel. The flavor was surprisingly dominated by floral hops with citrus and pine not as in your face as I would have expected. Almost medium bodied and a very creamy, very solid mouthfeel with a great finish. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
a10555 (125) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 14, 2007
I fell in love with this beer again while in Indy. I got it on tap at 2 different restaurants, and getting good beer on tap is a real treat. II would move to Indy from Cincy just based on what I got on tap. Back to the beer. Great taste and smooth. I liked how strong it was it didn’t take much to get a buzz! Enjoy it if you find it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jhanske (18) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Great brew. My heart skipped abeat when I saw it at the liquor store in Minneapolis. Was not disappointed at all! If this were available in Seattle, it would be on my grocery list everytime. I won’t go into the silly details of the taste. It is an awesome ale. Ship it to the WEST COAST PLEASE!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Homebrewerguy (305) - Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Since this is brewed with american malts and hops shouldn’t IPA stand for Iraq Pale Ale? I bet our troops would love this one. Pours with a beautiful full offwhite head which lasts the whole beer, hop aroma is intense which suggests wethopping, Can’t say as I agree that this beer is as bitter as everyone says, but it does dominate the flavor profile. Nicely done to style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Fish (440) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 9, 2007
I think this is likely the closest I’ve come to my ideal India Pale Ale. This is the hyperbitter of such greats in the IPA biz as Stone IPA and I2PA, but with an awe-inspiring mouthfeel, unrivalled in all my hophead daze. That is to say, there is no metallic afterfuzz peeling away molecule by molecule the gum tissue from my precious teeth. I REPEAT: This incredibly bitter beer is bitter, without the cringing aftertaste experience. How do they do it, ladies and gentlement? How do they do it? Next thing you know they’ll be bringing home our boys in Iraq and replacing ’em with robot fightin’ boys of steel! Ahh science. Buy beer first. Ask questions later. Two extra overall points because this beer should’ve scored a seven in palate.