overall

RATINGS: 3192   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jarlaxle (4) - Skokie, Illinois, USA - JAN 6, 2006 does not count
Cloudy gold appearance with nice, fluffy, duvel-esque head. Nice smell for an IPA, although a little too sweet for my taste. Taste is also good for the style although not nearly as "biting" as I expected this beer to be. Least favorite aspect of this brew was the fact that there is no real lasting bitterness hanging around after sipping, it just kind of goes dull after a second or two. I understand this could be a plus for some, especially if you drink it like a session beer, but I like my IPAs to attack the palate a little more. Overall, this is a very good beer but did not live up to the hype I’ve been reading recently. Good IPA but not one of the best.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sprinkle (114) - Arcadia, Michigan, USA - JAN 5, 2006
Deep pale straw in color, with good head and lace that sticks. Beautiful floral hops aroma with a sweet nose. Rich and hoppy upfront and the hops really stick with you for minutes, slight sweetness that balances perfectly. My perfect session beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Miguel (1181) - Saint-Ours, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 3, 2006
Robe blonde très claire surmontée d’une fine mousse blanche. Arômes de malt et de houblon amérisant. Saveurs d’épinette, de citron et de malt.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
puphus (34) - Carbondale, Colorado, USA - JAN 1, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2007 Fruit/Flower aroma. Citrus hints with a heavy bitter hop taste. One of my favorites. Now available everywhere.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrockLanders (772) - Panama City, Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2005
UPDATED: APR 12, 2006 What a fine IPA. Nice cloudy orange pour..nice creamy off-white head. Nose is big, sweet, citrusy hops...very resiny. Medium bodied with a big hoppy flavor, very citrus fruit laden, grapefruit, tangelo....this is much better than anticipated. Not that I thought it would be bad, I just didn’t think I’d love it as much as I did. Nice malt balance in this one. Refreshing is the word. I must get more of this...one bottle ain’t near enough.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - DEC 31, 2005
First thing to greet me in the aroma was pine, but it is followed by something soft and pleasing that I’m having trouble identifying (the first thing that comes to mind with it is freshly baked yellow cake...other than that I can’t identify it). Flavor is a woodsy pine that lasts throughout and into the long finish. Maybe a bit of alcohol too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CMUBEERMAN (421) - - DEC 31, 2005
Very light and to the point. Lots of hops and lots of grassy/tree type flavors. Amazing if you can get it on tap...and easy to find in a bottle

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 29, 2005
Clear amber pour with foamy head. Initial hops fragrance is mind-numbing and piney-strong like gin. Flavor is very strong and bright, but cedar and spruce hoppy flavors overpower all other palate dimensions. Abrasive for casual IPA drinkers, but heaven for the intensely-hearted drinker.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - DEC 29, 2005
Sampling from a 2 year old cellared bottle and a fresh one side by side. The hops in the fresh bottle are bracing, too much for my liking personally. However the aged two hearted reveals true craftsmanship, with a excellent balance of malt and hops. Notes of butterscotch and dried cherries along with the grapefruit and pine that is so overwhelming in the younger version. I’d drink the two year old anytime, I find the young a bit too brash for my palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 25, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2007 Pours orangish golden with a thin foamy, mostly maintained tan head. Aroma of sour orange, mango, and sweet grapefruit. Taste is citrus and flowery hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and slightly resinous. Delightfully smooth IPA, no aggressive bitterness. Yum.