overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 131   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
We brewed our 2009 version of our Scotch Ale and will be tapping on ObamaNight (Jan 20, 08) as InaugurAle. We have slightly altered the recipe from last year, marginally increasing the amount of peated malt and using the traditional ingredient of roasted barley (just a wee bit)... we removed a dark caramel malt and replaced with a special malt that should also contribute well to the overall character. As always, we use plenty of Scotland’s finest Golden Promise as well as our Wisconsin base malt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Doghair (257) - Illinois, USA - AUG 21, 2012
Poured into a tulip. Wonderful dark amber with very little head. Dissipates quickly to a ring around the glass. Nice malty smell. I get a little biscuit too. Taste is mostly malt with a little caramel and a clean finish. Well carbonated. Very easy to drink. It would be no problem to sit and work through a few of these.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Coolhandbrew (13) - Wisconsin, USA - FEB 9, 2013
Love this beer. Very malty and enjoyable. Good color, aroma, and palate. I hope my scotch ale that I’m brewing turns out as good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ssmooney28 (2) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - MAY 18, 2013 does not count
I'm not one to make a professionally written review, so I'll keep this simple. I admit I bought this initially because of the name, but I've always been a Scotch Ale fan. This is one of the best, richest beers I've ever had. Great mouthfeel and a fantastic taste across the board. Rich, chocolately and a nice caramel finish, this beer is going to be a staple in my fridge for the foreseeable future. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brentv (336) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 31, 2013
From bottle. Dark copper color. Aroma is malty with notes like coffee. Flavor is caramel and fairly dry. Little to no hoppiness. This beer is understated and gets better toward the bottom of the glass. Delicious. I could drink this every day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jebert (500) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 4, 2011
Pours a copper red with a small light tan head. Nose is malt and maple syrup. Extremely creamy on the palate- very pleasing taste of malt, caramel and maple syrup. Slightly sweet on the finish like a dopplebock. Pairs well with light snacks and Irish stew. Go figure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eladerman (82) - Newburgh, Indiana, USA - JUN 7, 2013
This a nice BIG Malt Bomb of a brew. If you love a double bock like Salvator, or a beer like Three Floyds Robert the Bruce, Scottish Ale, your gonna love this brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dlbeer (774) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 30, 2013
Bottle. Cloudy amber pour with off white head. Smells malty. Tastes very malty with slight bitter finish. Very good. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

LtJudge (468) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 26, 2010
Pours a nice copper/amber color with a medium creamy beige head.Wonderful caramel malt aromas that are backed by deep roasted malt aromas and a hint of peat in the background. Flavor is of roasted dark caramel malts that fades into a slight earthy/hop bite. Nice tingle on the tongue thats goes to a sweet malt finish.Very good brew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SudsMcDuff (5812) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - MAR 20, 2011
Thanks to John for this!! .. Pours a deep tawny tan, really fine head, great lacing .. . syrup, molasses, and pancakes dominate .. . easy to put down, no indication of the abv .. . very enjoyable, but quite sweet .. .

..somethings going on here..

-i don’t know what you’re talking about sometimes a sheep just needs to be pushed through the fence...

86Moose (59) - - NOV 20, 2011
Aroma of roasted coffee. Orange to brown clear appearance. thin white head. Medium sweet Full body. Long finish. Very good beer.