overall
Brewed by Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei
Style: Altbier
Düsseldorf, Germany

RATINGS: 715   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Uerige DoppelSticke might just be "Germany's interpretation of a barley-wine", ie a third definition next to England's "malt-driven" idea {such as JW Lees Vintage Harvest Ale} and America's "hop-heavy" version {such as Sierra Nevada's BigFoot}. OG - 1085; IBU - 75; Ingredients; Hops:Spalt Spalter, Hallertauer Perle, Spalt Hallertauer; Malts: Pilsner malt, caramel malt, roasted malt

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hair-old (185) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 5, 2006
A proprietary blend of hops and malts makes this the benchmark high-octane alt.DRY,smooth.What an alt should be. Warning:May be habit forming.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GonZoBeeR (2920) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 4, 2006
Aroma:Good burn caramel aroma... Appearance:Dark cooper ,light head.. Flavor:Caramel,alcohol,light nutty.....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - FEB 24, 2006
Not a hell of a lot of notes on this one apart from the rating. Dark red brown with a little head. Lots of grassy hops. Tastes a bit like a scotch ale (?).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jaymobrown (1652) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 21, 2006
Dark leather color. Cloudy with a large head foaming over. Sweet nose with a heafty dose of malt. Tastes like straight up grain feedbag. Sticks all over the mouth like a bunch of beer glue. Bitter chocolate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Magjayran (1379) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 14, 2006
So I take this beer out of my fridge and pop the fancy ass swing top and get a blast of foam straight to the eye. At that point I decided that I was going to absolutely pan this beer. As I went to grab a glass (I don’t have one of those Kolsch/Altbier glasses so I used a Saison Dupont glass) and when I turned back around there was foam oozing from the ridiculously long neck. OoooooohhhhhI was hating. So I pour the beer and notice a rather non-offensive reddish brown color and a medium sized tan head. I give it a sniff and I’m pleasantly surprised by the hop presence that seems to compliment the sweet and malty backbone quite well. Well so much for hating on the aroma and appearance. Maybe I’ll hate the way this one tastes. I see that this could be interpreted as a German barleywine and while I do notice some similar qualities such as a high hop level to balance out a lot of sweet malts, I feel like this is closer to a strong Doppelbock in flavor. Damng good stuff. Notes of sweet cherry get dominated by a bitter finish. Interesting and challenging to the palate yet easy drinking and dangerous. Alas, I couldn’t hate on this beer at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 13, 2006
Intense roasted malts/caramel/raisins/dates/alcohol/more alcohol/and brown sugar. Finishes on a surprisingly bitter note with IBU’s equal to some IPA’s. Very well done on every level. Makes for a very, VERY dangerous session brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - FEB 11, 2006
Copper pour. Flavor was bold and a bit smokey. Finishes a bit bitter. Not all that interesting, but not really bad either.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sammy (8566) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 11, 2006
Finally tracked down at Premiere Gourmet recent shipment. Not as enjoyable as the others i have had from this brewery. The alcohol was burning me a bit in the nose, in the taste. Smooth mouthfeel, nice appearance in the glass but sourish which some like. Yes there is chocolate malt, which gave bitterness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - FEB 11, 2006
Pours a murky brown with a little wisp of a head. The scent is very vinuous. Sticky sweet when it hits your lips. Tastes of dark grapes and bread. Some smooth bitterness in the end. I couldn’t believe this is 8.5% alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 11, 2006
Compared/contrasted this one with the Ueriges Sticke. Slightly darker with a creamy head. I was struck by the aroma . . . It reminded me of something sweet, a candy from my childhood. I whiffed it again and again and gave it to my wife, explaining my inability to label the aroma. She said, "Candy Circus Peanuts." Bingo! She professes to hating those things but liked this brew nonetheless. I liked it too. Overall, heartier and sweeter than the Sticke and my preference of the two.