Unibroue 11

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 362   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Launched to celebrate Unibroue's 11th Anniversary, 11 has a rich aroma reminiscent of ripe fruit and fig, and is accompanied by a delicate spicy after note. The taste is complex and its body more than generous. This unique strong beer is warm and intriguing whilst remaining smooth and delicate. With its 11% Alcohol, "11" is the highest alcohol content beer in Quebec. Produced in limited quantity and sold for a very minimal price for its quality, only about 6000 cases of this special brew will be sold.

BeerDude78 (91) - Brick NJ, New Jersey, USA - APR 10, 2003
Great beer. Alcohol can hardly be tasted. Very good citrus flavour. Definitely must try.

Trig (4) - Howell, Michigan, USA - AUG 5, 2003 does not count
I liked the ten and didn't think The eleven would be as good. After drinking it for a while I rate it higher then the ten. The best beer I ever had. The price is high and worth it. Very strong and not too sweet or too bitter.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - APR 5, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 6, 2003 Oh, My! What bliss! I could bore you with the specifics of this beer, but instead you MUST try it for yourself.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - FEB 18, 2003
This Belgian style goddess pours a slightly cloudy golden color with a medium sized, lingering white head. It has a nice, sweet aroma of yeasts, malts, spices, and just a hint of alcohol. Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation, the flavor erupts in your mouth, spewing forth candy, malt, alcohol, yeast, fruit, and spice flavors that tickle your palate and warm your belly. Smooth and most delectable, the alcohol is just a whisper in the hurricane force winds that this beer invokes in your gullet. Simply magnificent!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
artvandalay (16) - USA - MAR 1, 2003
Wow. Nice smells of fresh banana bread. Or maybe a big crusty loaf. Lots of citric notes. The 11% fades nicely, barely there. This is one to share with friends, asits a taste experience. Cant wait to see it next year.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - NOV 10, 2003
A sweet, cidery brew with the eclectic taste of peaches, figs and rock hard peppermint candy. Drinks a lot like a good red wine. Subtle yet complex. A very pleasurable strong ale. I'll go on record saying this is my favorite brew from the masters at Unibroue (and that is indeed saying A LOT!) Pours with a proud, creamy head. A wonderful aroma and velvety palate. Winds up with a dry & crisp finish. The 11% ABV is so sublime and discreet as is often the case in many Belgian style strong ales; but this one really snuck up on me and gave me a really good buzz that lasted for quite a while!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 29, 2003
Wow! A big change from the 10 %. I like this on much better, I actually could smell something upon opening the bottle. Nice flavor that was not at all bitter like the 10%, actually it had a completely different taste than the 10%. Little head to it and very palatable. I will drink this one again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
french tickler (649) - Aylmer, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 19, 2006
Drank in a tulip. Creamy golden poor. Nice off white head. Aromas of bread, sweet apples, pears, plums, grapes, allspice, a little madeira, casis and a little leather. Very creamy feel to it, alcohol and sweet fruity palate to it. This beer gets more and more amazing. Flavors of added cranberries... this is to much of a complexe beer to definitely pinpoint all of the flavors. This beer was brewed in 2002 and has aged 4 years in my cellar and good god has it ever aged nicely. The combination of malts and hops used for this beer is just perfect.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sephiroth (66) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 25, 2008
I found a companion for my only other sample of this just last night. Thanks to the IN BAs for providing me with the whereabouts of this one. Bottle date of 10-10-2002. Score! As much as I have looked forward to trying this, I just hope that the cork has held up. The pop was light, but it allayed all my fears. I poured this into a tulip. It has an inch, maybe more, of head. It is a very light golden yellow. The second and last pour creates two inches of foam. The nose is complex. A fruity smell from the yeast is followed by lime and orange. The taste begins with lime and orange in the front. These give way to sweeter apples and even cherries. For as light as the color is, I sure do taste some dark malt flavors in this one. The mouthfeel is thick, and coating does not seem the proper term. I would say cloying, except I am enjoying every aspect of this beer, including its cloying mouthfeel. Drinkability is good. I am slogging through the bottle in no time. Unibroue is one of the finest breweries in the world. Their special releases are meant to be aged, and this specimen gives me hope for the many of their beers that I am storing. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 08-22-2005 07:44:43

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
grandgenie (259) - gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 8, 2009
Dégusté avec french tickler le 16 novembre 2006. Bouteille vieilli de mon cellier. Dégusté dans un verre tulipe. De couleur or ambré, d’apparence crémeuse avec un beau collet d’épaisseur moyenne. Sensation de crême, d’alcool et goût de fruit et de canneberge en arrière plan.Une senteur de pain, de pomme, de poire, de prune, de cuir, de cassis et d’épices madérisés.On parle içi d’équilibre et de perfection, de beau souvenir et soirées de dégustations.