overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Witbier
Chambly, Canada
Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 1628   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
White beer on lees.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Malakin (470) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 22, 2004
Light smooth subtle flavours, extremly fizzy, nice for a light witbier. Could use more spicyness or something.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
caledonian (367) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 16, 2004
First beer that I’ve had to uncork, neat. Very similar in appearance and taste to Hoegaarden. Cloudy with a frothy white head. Dominant yeasty flavour. One of the better Unibroue brews.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - MAY 10, 2004
bottled barleys beer festival III: this was the last unibroue beer i had that day, should have started here, since this is the most mellow of the lot. poured a beautiful light yellow with haziness and white head to match. some coriander citrus nose. into the mouth quite bubbly and dry. good citrus flavors however left a sour taste on my palate after a few chuggs. good white. very refreshing. me likes...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 7, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2004 First off, my taste buds tend to enjoy the English styles – bitter, brown ales and such. I’m also a big stout and porter fan. But I have actively over the past few months tried to expand my experiences to include Belgian and German styles. And I can honestly say that I really liked this beer, not because I am supposed to, especially being from Canada, but because I found it very flavourful and enjoyable. Great big white fluffy head, long lasting. Hazy yellow body. Tons of citrus scents. Very refreshing crisp body with more citrus, especially lemon. Clean, slightly hoppy aftertaste. To repeat myself, what a refreshing, flavourful beer. Well done.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
CyclistSarah (15) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 6, 2004
I really like this one and have had it fairly often. Unibroue is becoming one of my favourite brewers. Tried the Orange de Chambly at the Beer Bistro which was interesting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Sammy (11180) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 6, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2004 This beer was well appreciated by anyone who enjoys beer. Lovely as a sipping beer over a good lunch. I had two in Mt. Tremblant and it has continued to be a mainstay. Had it on tap and it ranks higher, particularly refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
joshpiledean (316) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 5, 2004
Poured cloudy yellow, as expected (duh), with a decent white head that quickly disappeared and left nothing for the rest of the glass. Great inital flavor, a little bit of fruit and a fair bit of spice, but ends dry and bland. Very crisp and light, making it drinkable like no one’s business. Nice brew, I enjoyed it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
pootzboy (1690) - Hopville, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 5, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2004 My original personal notes on this tasting were pretty positive but that was at a time when my contact with German witbiers was fairly limited. This is a beer type I have become warm to but this rendition (Canadianized) leaves me a bit flat. I am rating this beer again after a year or so of sampling other witbiers. This is a white beer in all physical aspects but it is not quite as well balanced or sweet and lacks the spice and fruity esters of it‘s German counterparts. A bit too dry for the style. Pours a pale murky straw color with lots of effervescence and a frothy head that stacked 2 fingers out of the glass then reduced to a lace sheet that capped the drink to the finish. Aroma was very subtle of spice and raisins with a waft of alcohol. Starts crisp then builds to a pleasing mirage of grain, fruits and spice tastes all devilishly subdued with the hopping upsetting hte balance, The finish is quite a surprise with a lingering essence of metallic hops. A Canadianized representation of this genre, dry but very drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sfontain (851) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 2, 2004
Very murky, pale, yellow color with a lasting, white, fizzy head. Aroma is citrus, lemon, spices, and yeast. Flavor is lemon and spice; very little malt or hops. Feels a bit fizzy, but the finish is one of the cleanest I have experienced. This is a very clean, very fresh-tasting beer, but it’s rather uncomplex and uninteresting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pailhead (6405) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - MAY 2, 2004
Bottle: Aroma is of orange and lemon. Pours a pale cloudy yellow with a white head that dies to almost nothing within the first minute. Almost no lacing. Good carbonation. Flavor reminds me of Hoegaarden but a little less orange and a little more lemon. Very fizzy mouthfeel. Almost no aftertaste but what is there is very slightly bitter.