overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 1559   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Don de Dieu means "Gift of God". The Don de Dieu was the ship of Samuel de Champlain as he was commissioned by the King of France to explore the vast and inhospitable land called America.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MartinT (7677) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 5, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 1, 2013 Triumphant coriander seeds, wheat and orange peel display once again their cohesion in a Unibroue creation... Subtle bananas, apricots, lemons, peaches and white grapes are all dearly laid out on the usual dreamlike Unibroue mouthfeel...A plump pear note peers through once in a while... Yeast is once again everywhere on the flavor profile, perhaps too much so for my liking...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nagash (207) - Paris, FRANCE - JUL 1, 2002
What a great beer. Strong in alcohol and so sweet. A really special white beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - JUN 26, 2002
rerate 6/26 - I gotta say, this is a good summer beverage, though Iím not a huge fan of wheat beers. The head is relatively small and irrelevant, uncharacteristically. The color is on the golden side. Flavors of yeast, anise, pears, that sweet/tart taste common to the style. Clean finish. Not bad, a warm weather thirst quencher that will get you drunk if you have too many, but not one of my favorite Unibroues.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 25, 2002
My slight disaapointment in this beer arises because of the likes of Maudite, Trois Pistoles and 10. This beer lacks the body and peppery finish that seems to be inherent in the others. Thin yellow custard appearance with a large head on the pour that quickly diminishes. Bready and citrusy aromas, though not as pronounced as I would like. Cloying bitterness. BTW whatís with the twist offs? I realize this is a minor issue but for some strange reason it really pisses me off!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łůdż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUN 25, 2002
I liked the big body; cloudy, unfiltered chewy goodness. But mellow, too mellow, I think, for me. Very well made, nice notes of yeast

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - JUN 24, 2002
I am not a big fan of this style, yet I liked this beer a lot. Beers like Hennepin have that really annoying spicy finish....this beer was well balanced all the way around...fruity sweet malts, subtle hops in the finish...alcohol was masked rather nicely too....good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUN 23, 2002
Huge white head, pale appearance. Reminds me of La Fin Du Monde in many ways. Wheaty smell, slight hoppiness. Crisp. Dry, smooth finish. When I first ordered this, the waitress was drunk and dropped a tray of four beers. My bottle of Don de Dieu was the only thing that survived, even though half of it was on my pant leg. Bottom line: I got half a bottle for free. But the waitress was pretty cool about it, and later I was about to try to make a move on her. Before you say anything, I know, I know, normally hitting on waitresses or female bartenders isnít successful, but I really had better odds with this one. But friends tried to convince me otherwise, reminding me of a time when beer-goggles had gotten the better of me and I highly regretted it. They managed to get me to lay off, mostly because we were a long way from home and I didnít have an alternate ride. Damn it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUN 3, 2002
Solid beer - but was just looking for a bit more pronounced taste. Didnít find much íspiceí ... certainly citrus notes with a nice yeast finish. Minimal head which quickly disappeared. Its a decent beer, just not exceptional in my opinion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUN 1, 2002
A very nice golden ale. Fruity with light spiciness. A beer I will look forward to consuming again!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20