overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 1558   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Don de Dieu means "Gift of God". The Don de Dieu was the ship of Samuel de Champlain as he was commissioned by the King of France to explore the vast and inhospitable land called America.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - APR 6, 2002
A really great beer. Something in between Toise Pistoles and La Fin Du Monde.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - APR 5, 2002
Cloudy due to a fair amount of sediment, it looks like an apple/orange juice cocktail. It smells like a screwdriver (Tropicana and Stoli), which I’m not too fond of. Prominent alcohol lingers, and it was difficult for me to discern the flavors present. I agree with the cider comments as well. A wheat belgian strong ale such as this is an interesting prospect, but this one never really settled with me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - APR 5, 2002
How much does this remind me of my homebrewed cider! Examine the bottle and you’ll note a healthy sediment. Open it and a white froth immediately rises from the bottle - pour it and a flash of fizz quickly builds and disspates while a sticky malty aroma, edged with citrus and apples, rises. The taste is certainly un(ibroue)ique, like a malt injected cider. I get caramel and fruit from the malt but the hard sour edges and effervescence of my own best cider efforts. I may have to have another one before I decide how much I really like this beer. Unibroue is one gorgeously confusing brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 29, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2004 Re-rate 35 minutes later: I invert bottle-conditioned beers to get the yeast in it. The yeast in this bottle was caked on the bottom and required some work to free. The yeast adds a great deal to this beer. Instead of being weak it is now full of light fruits and a bit sweet. First rating: 750ML bottle:Cloudy yellow appearance, spicy/alcohol aroma, the beer seems a bit weak tasting, and yet doesn't show its high ABV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Huge head and very cloudy...almost the appearance of a wheat. Nice fruity aroma and flavor, with a hint of spiciness. Very good beer with no hint of its 9%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - MAR 14, 2002
Another good one from Unibroue. Nice creamy head that I had to watch because it wanted to overflow my glass. Color is golden translucent with a little cloudiness. The aroma reminds me once again of fruit, candied fruit to be exact. This one is a bit more peachy or pineapple-y than some of the others from Unibroue, and maybe a bit sweeter to me. That sweetness is the only real flaw I find. It is nice at first, but after a few sips the word ’cloying’ comes to mind. The bubbles and warm alcohol effect do help to offset the sweetness but not quite enough. Still, I like this and will drink it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
omhper (19185) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - FEB 25, 2002
Yellow-orange coloured. Hazy. Lively, fruity, and surprisingly light bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Pablo McStouthead (69) - L.A, California, USA - FEB 11, 2002
Not as good as Chimay White and some of the other *real* Belgian wheats. Smells good. Too sweet, as has been said. I don’t really like the flavor. The aftertaste is reminiscent of bacon. This is true.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - FEB 7, 2002
BIG head, and it really is 9%. Very sweet is my over all impression and not much else.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Oakes (12167) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 6, 2002
Probably the maltiest of Unibroue’s pale beers, with a peachy fruitiness and alcoholic depth.