overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abbey Tripel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 591   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Belgian type ale with triple fermentation. L’Eau Bénite is a golden ale with a slightly fruity taste and a light spicy aromatic flavor.
Ingredients: Malt, hops, yeast, sugar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bulldog99 (13) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 31, 2002
Nice color but the head disolves too quickly. The first few mouthfulls were good but it got a little mediciny after that. I drank it 4 hours ago and I’m still tasting it. I love most Unibroue beers and I don’t hate this one but it’s among my least favorite of their brews. I prefer Don De Dieu which is similar but not as aggressing to the palette in my opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 26, 2002
Golden in color. A lot of aroma here, especially the yeast. Some hay, spice. It seems rather bland and lacking the lightness and crispness of other triples I’ve had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - MAY 24, 2002
Pale gold with a hint of wit cloudiness. Interesting nose, sour with some peppermint. Flavor is of lemon zest, mint, and spice. Is tangy and yeasty but a mite medicinal. As it warms, it gets unpleasantly sugary.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Steak (124) - New York, USA - MAY 21, 2002
I just can’t get over the incredibly strong yeasty smell of the Unibroue family. I understand that they are fermented in the bottles and not usually filtered, but the yeast gives off such a pungent smell that is disarming. This brew seemed to have a case of it bad. It tasted, on the whole, unremarkable, but there were slight citrus (sour) notes followed by a sweet ending. The carbonation in my bottle was almost unbearable. Can’t say that I liked it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 16, 2002
Yeast, malt smell. Hazy golden, brief head. Spice and citrus flavour, lots of carbonation. Good mouthfeel and tingle. Very nice triple.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 6, 2002
A bit fruity. This one I could actually drink. A hint of sourness. Better than Don de Dieu.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CQC (224) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 3, 2002
Bugger it’s sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rauchbier (3593) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - MAY 1, 2002
Yeasty bread aromas with a hint of spice, sweet wort and malty flavour with more delicate spice and esters. Good smooth and long finish, reminded me of La Chouffe which is a good thing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - APR 28, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2003 Strong, malty, peppery, fruity with a slightly bitter finish. A must try for any beer fan and a good introduction to Belgian ales. Unlike others here I didn't get the over carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gooner (136) - Chatham, Ontario, CANADA - APR 26, 2002
The first initial sip has a delayed spicy taste. Once you swallow it, the spice kicks you on the palate. Another excellent Unibroue product.