overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Fruit Beer/Radler
Chambly, Canada
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Éphémère is the third in a series of lively original-recipe beers that come and go before you know it. From season to season and year to year you’ll find a different Éphémère beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
McWhite (108) - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Light brown color with a small head. Had apples in the aroma, which reminded me of a cider because of the color and smell. The taste of apple was faint however and not nearly as much as the aroma would have you believe.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Thick foamy head. Loads of bubbles. Almost champagne like in appearance. Great green apple aroma. A bit light on the palate. Not as strong as the aroma would suggest. Tastey stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Bottled. Poured with a thick soapy head and the body was a cloudy dark yellow. Once the head dissipated, it looked like a glass of day old urine (Please don't ask!) The only aromas I could discern were those of fresh apples. The taste was an overly carbonated, apple flavored drink. It wasn't a bad beer, but one was enough and I don't think I'll try this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - AUG 15, 2003
Though I just don't like this, I can see how some do. My wife really digs it, but the apple flavors just taste phony and out of wack to me. Cloudy yellow, big white diminishing head. Powerful nose, quite sweet, of apples, green jolly ranchers, slightly tart and somewhat musty. Sweet, with a strong green apple flavor, but somehow artificial.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - AUG 14, 2003
Cloudy dark yellow color with a short-lived but thick head. Strong aroma of sour apple and yeast. Flavor was similar, very yeasty with the sour apples coming behind it. Tart finish. Pretty good, probably not so great to have more than one though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - AUG 13, 2003
(bottle, via mabdoney) I like the hot angelic looking chick on the label to start. Murky, dark yellow in color with a brief, coarse head. Yeast and sour apple candy in the aroma. I didnt get as much apple in the flavor as I expected until the finish, but it was there. A very interesting beer, I like the yeast and crisp sour apple combo it had going, maybe a bit too carbonated--definitely very refreshing and novel though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 12, 2003
Nice yeasty apple spice aroma.Cloudy medium gold appearance.Sweet dry flavors of wheat yeast and apples.Very mild spicy hop finish.Very refreshing summer quaffer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
FlacoAlto (3810) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 11, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2004 Sampled July 2004
Pours a hazy full gold color. It is well carbonated which generates a white head. A wonderful apple aroma wafts to my nose as I pour this beer. Good this beer might be better than when I last had it. As I go in for a deeper sniff all I find is more apple, perhaps there is a bit of yeastiness, but mostly just notes of sour apple candy. This beer is dry up front, and has a crisp apple candy bite in the finish. There is a hint of light graininess in the background.

This seems a bit too much like a candy apple jolly-rancher. This is certainly much more interesting than when I last had it, but the apple flavors seem fake to me. The apple notes are just too jarring, though they do mellow a bit as my palate becomes used to it.

Sampled August 2003 750ml bottle
The beer is quite murky (like a young cider) and a light brown color, poured with no head at all. It has a pleasing cidery aroma. The flavor is very dry with a subdued apple taste. Not too much flavor over all. I was expecting a bit more excitement from this beer, though it was not bad overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
guzzler67 (1526) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - AUG 10, 2003
Cloudy golden color with a beautiful thick head. Apple aroma is the first thing to greet you, followed by a whiff of sugar candy. High carbonation. Taste is predominately a sweet apple flavor up front, with a bit of a sour finish. Enjoyed it more as a novelty than an everyday beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Silphium (3179) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - AUG 9, 2003
I don't know about this one...something seems off. Has a green apple aroma and a witbieresque cloudy yellow body. Seriously, it looks like somebody poured apple juice in a beer and called it "Ephemere." Flavor is dominated by sour, fermented apple with an interesting spicy finish. But, where's the beer, yo? I could hide my beer with strong fruit flavors too.