overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Fruit Beer
Chambly, Canada
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1512   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Éphémère is the third in a series of lively original-recipe beers that come and go before you know it. From season to season and year to year you’ll find a different Éphémère beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
DYCSoccer17 (3490) - Woodland, California, USA - AUG 31, 2003
Pours a cloudy blonde with a quickly dissipating mild white head. The aroma of apples were noticed the second this 12 oz bottle was opened. There is the apple aroma, but there is also a weird foul aroma to go along with it. The star of this beer is very carbonated--too carbonated and there is not much flavor. This turns into alcoholic liquid apple pie in the finish though. I think this is too carbonated, and the start just kills this beer. The finish is lovely, though. A very difficult beer to rate because there are positives and negatives.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - AUG 31, 2003
The instant I opened the bottle, a rush of apple filled the air. I poured a half pint (I shared the other half with my brother) of the hazy light golden colored brew. I poured a thick head, which diminished moderately fast. I didn't know what to make of the aroma initially, I definately smell apple, but something pungent also makes me wonder what this will taste like. The first taste is not good. Maybe it is just because I have tasted 3 very dark, complex brews earlier today. I don't like it a lot early, but it grows on me. My brother mentions apple pie and I find that an incredibly accurate portrayal of this beer. It is quite carbonated, but as I get to the end of the half pint, I really enjoy this beer after a lot of the carbonation has subsided. Tough to rate, but not difficult to drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
caledonian (367) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 30, 2003
Hazy yellow in appearance. Apple flavor isn't that strong so it doesn't overpower. I preferred the unflavored Ephemere but this one comes second.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - AUG 29, 2003
complex apple and curacao aroma, cloudy yellow with a lively white head, tastes like apple pie with lots of creamy coriander notes, nice and full flavored for such a light beer, awesome sour apple finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WabashMan (1018) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - AUG 29, 2003
Hmm...I can't say I'm crazy for this one. A nice appearance and tart apple nose, but the flavor is lacking in depth and fullness. It goes from SMELLING like a fruit beer to TASTING almost like an average wheat beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - AUG 26, 2003
I would compare this one very much to an apple tart. This would go nicely as a dessert beer. It is just right, not too sweet with just the right amount of apple in the nose, the mouth and the aftertaste. Extremely hazy with a creamy, frizzy head, in the appearance looks like a witbier. Very balanced and extremely tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
theakston (64) - arlington, Virginia, USA - AUG 25, 2003
This is an excellent Summer beer. Apples dominate the nose and the taste but do not completely overwhelm. Still a fine belgian style beer with subtle malty sweetnes to balance the acidity of the apples. Very refreshing

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WISEGUY572 (1374) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2003
Easy to drink. Looks like it's going to be a big Belgian wheat ... cloudy golden brew with a thick frothy head ... what I usually call a lemon meringue pie beer because of its appearance. Taste of bread and sweet spice (coriander?) like a Golden Monkey or a Belgian but much less alcohol. Next feeling is that it's a big Belgian that was cut with some Vermont hard cider, making it a thirst quenching, relatively low alcohol (for a Belgian) summer beer. Really quite pleasant. Champagne analogy is not off base ... it has the mouth feel of a bubbly Champagne rather than a beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - AUG 22, 2003
I really enjoyed this beer. It poured out to a chalky, cloudy, golden color in the glass. The aroma is excellent. Light apple and other fruit. The taste was quite good. The apple is done just right, not overbearing at all and combined with the spices made for a nice, summertime-style, treat. This beer actually reminded me of drinking champagne. Definetely worth a try. I'll be revisiting it before summer is over.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerking99 (199) - Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2003
Very comlex aroma. Coriander isevident, but apples are upfront, along with soft malt, and hints of mint? Color is pure gold, with some hazed and a small white head. Flavor is apples, with some orange, and that mint character again. Extremely balanced throughout, fading into a mild cider character, along with some hops.