Unibroue La Bolduc

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Pilsener
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 119   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.91   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
With La Bolduc, Unibroue recreated an "Old Style" beer reminiscent of the 1950s. A natural and refreshing beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MeisterEckart (18) - Guelph, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 15, 2002
Definitely a session beer. I was beginning to despair that Unibroue would have a proletarian beer suitable for prolonged and frequent drinking, but this subtly flavourful, lager-bodied beer with a nice malt twinge in the aftertaste fits the bill perfectly.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dhurtubise (568) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 19, 2002
Beautiful simple ale by unibroue standards. Still has unibroue’s signature yeast contributed flavor. Good session ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - AUG 4, 2002
Good taste, cool bottle, nice copper color. Decent head. Not the best Unibroue has to offer at all, but highly drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2002
An unusual one for Unibroue, to be sure. Very clear golden, which I did not expect. Bright white head like a wheat, which I did not expect. Then, a sort-of-sweet, slightly hoppy/bitter English Pale built upon a more Belgian yeast strain. Goes down very well. Not a world-beater by any stretch, but a session ale. The sum is more than the parts in this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Under-age Drinker (96) - Colorado, USA - JUL 15, 2002
I expected more out of the Chode-like bottle from Unibroue. I’ll cut to the chase in spanish... No soy un gran afficianado de La Bolduc

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 14, 2002
nothing like a unibroue i’d had before. butterscotch sweet aroma. gold and transparent. sweet finish, its not impressive. its like macro swill made slightly better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Davhgbrew (940) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - JUL 12, 2002
I was really excited about trying this one, and I saved it to be my last of my Unibroue’s to try from my trip to Quebec. Although as I poured this one I was surprised to find a pilsner appearance being that I was expecting something darker and more complex. Slight hops in aroma, malt in the palate, and there is a thin middle. A strange brew, for a beer with noticable hops, the malt is almost overpowering. Eh!?

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MartinT (7811) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 5, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2009 A beer to tease the ‘Traditional Quebecers’…Shy hops, iron, pepper and honeyed cereals in an honest version of a commercial beer…A best-seller that gives Unibroue the funds to brew the eclectic and ingenious Terrible, Trois-Pistoles, Maudite, Fringante, etc…

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
radiomgb (2249) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 16, 2002
I really enjoyed this one. Nice copper colour. Has a fine head to it with some orange flavours to it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
spaque99 (8) - Quebec, CANADA - MAY 27, 2002 does not count
The beer I buy to drink when I eat, not for a degustation. Very good.