overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abbey Tripel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2772   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   IBU: 19   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned.
"The end of the world. The excellence of triple fermentation through a blend of special yeasts gives this malt beverage an exquisitely robust flavor of exceptional refinement."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - AUG 22, 2004
Pours translucent gold with a large, smooth head. Very citrusy aroma. Sweet flavor with more of the citrus and a bit of hop bitterness coming through. Very slight alcohol taste. Good, but not as good as I expected--and definitely not as good as the Allagash Tripel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jcc83 (137) - Athens, Georgia, USA - AUG 21, 2004
My first tripel. Poured a hazy, cloudy gold full of yeasty solids and a wealth of carbonation, capped by an abundant white head. Full aroma of strong citrus, crisp hops, and bready yeasts. Flavors were of pineapple, citrus, and a slight note of alcohol at the end, all dominated by a cloying sweetness. Being new to the Belgian styles, I was falsely expecting something darker and richer, and so I was was rather disappointed by this one. It struck me as something like a really good witbier, and thus fell short of my expectations.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - AUG 21, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2004 A refreshing fruity taste, citrus-like, but not sweet. Excellent on a hot day, as apéritif, or with sushi. I appreciate Unibroue's care for its customers: the bottle clearly indicates the best serving temperature and type of glass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
wpp83 (64) - Athens, Georgia, USA - AUG 20, 2004
This beer did not live up to the expectations that I had. Iit poured that nice cloudy yellow hue with a soapy white head. The aroma was hoppy and full of citrus hints. The taste itself was quite good, though lacking in my opinion. While I have not had many abbey triples to base any comparisons, this beer would not be one that I would recommend.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 19, 2004
Wow! Was I young and naive the first time I had this beer as a freshman in university. This is a fantastic beer! Certainly one of the best Abbey’s I have encountered (which remain far few inbetween). Hazy citrus and delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jine (896) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - AUG 16, 2004
Opaque yellow color. yeasty and full. Couldn’t even tell it was 9%. I’ll save a bottle of this for the fin du monde

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - AUG 12, 2004
Very Good Tripple.. I let this one sit around for awhile. I wish I wouldn’t have. It was absolutley delightful. Poured a Cloudy yellow with a nice soapy head Subtle Citrus and Yeasty scents joined together to create the savory Aroma. The potent aclcohol level is hidden very well with the great flavors that make this belgian like beer one of my favorites.

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 11, 2004
From a bottle at Yeoman’s Road Pub in Tampa. Really well balanced beer that gets high abv without being all that sweet. Someone once told me they were in some casino in Canada and this was all they served...I could totally live with that.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bluevegie (3049) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - AUG 10, 2004
Hazy pale yellow straw coloured body with a large frothy white head. Soft clove and lemony aroma. Zesty spicey taste, lovely alcohol level, medium body makes it easy to quaff down, enjoyed this beer and it was gone before I knew it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
savitska (163) - Smyrna, Georgia, USA - AUG 9, 2004
Not as wonderful as some of the Abbey beers I’ve had on tap (La Trappe Dubbel), but still an amazing bottle-fermented Golden Ale. I love how much this beer reminds me of a good, dry sparkling wine. Very bubbly and effervescent with a good, balanced malt and hop nose, a refreshing taste and a slight alcoholic finish. Give a bottle of this beer to a wine-snob friend of yours and challenge them to look down their noses at beer.