overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 1504   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
La Terrible is a dark brown beer on lees and is part of a collection of exotic and refined Unibroue beers brewed using 100% natural raw materials. It may be drunk as an aperitif or as an after dinner digestive. It is equally a perfect accompaniment to the above-mentioned dishes or a pleasant alternative to coffee.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
flemdawg (531) - Naples, Florida, USA - OCT 19, 2003
FWE beer#11. I need to get this one again. Things were getting a bit hazy at this point. Darker than expected, with some carbination around the edges. Fruity aroma, but with a hint of sour. Flavor was hard to pinpoint. I know I like it though. I did get some fruits though. Ya, I need to buy more.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
thedm (4948) - Fort Wayne, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Fort Wayne event. This fourteenth brew of the evening came from Flemdawg. This brew poured a large head of foamy fine to medium sized off-white colored mostly lasting bubbles that left behind a semi-opaque dark brown colored body. The aroma came off to me as yucky and hard to describe. I did not much care for that aspect of this brew. The mouthfeel was smooth and started off dryly while finishing a bit more mildly. I did not take many notes on it at this point as I was kind of turned off by it and my final comment on the flavor was, "Not great". I may have to have this one again as I am sure I am against the grain on this rating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - OCT 19, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2004 A dark coffee brown color with a medium off-white head. Tiresome Unibroue yeast aroma( yes they are all quality beers but the similiarity between all of them detracts), alcohol. Taste as it warms, you get a big hit of chocolate every couple of sips. Some fruit, spice, again the usual Unibroue fare. A week after I recieved this in a trade I saw it here in IL and WI, at least my label is in French. But the curious thing is the cost, it is only $5.50 a bottle while the Unibroue 10/11 goes for $8, I bought more of this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BBB63 (6083) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Big THANK YOU to Jim (Flemdawg) for bringing this beer to TheDM's party! Murky brown with burgundy highlights. Small frothy off-white head but no lace. Very nice nose of apple, blackberry, hazelnut, grainy and roasted malts, pipe tobacco, and earthy yeast esters. Fruity sweet with a lightly bitter and acidic taste. While complex, it is still light on the palate due to the carbonation. Dry yet lush feel. Medium to full-bodied with a moderate alcoholic presence but not overpowering. A very good brew which will age well for another year or more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 18, 2003
Great color. Round, smokey flavor with hints of fruit and oak. Maybe a little over-rated, but a truely enjoyable beer. Unibroue is remarkable!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 15, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2005 Very dark, with some light purple and murky brownish orange. Very clouded. I got no head out of mine, and I even swirled it alot. Smells of lots of candied sugar, some ripe plums, maybe a touch of maple and alcohol? Begins with a ton of malt and lots of candied sugar flavor. Wow, this is sweet. Evens somewhat, with some banana and bubblegum esters, but the hops punch I’m hoping for never hits. The body is surprisingly only medium, maybe slightly medium full. Loose, somewhat watery texture, very soft. Finish improves however, with some drier alcohol notes and finally some hops and yeast. Still, the finish just dosent seem to make up for the way too sugary beginning and watery body. I want to be harsh on this beer, as I was let down by the cloyingness it provided towards the end of the bottle, but the finish showed potential. The flavor would even with cellaring, but I have to wonder about the watery smooth mouthfeel, would that hold up? I felt carbonation level was perhaps too low, did not find it to be overcarbed even up front. Im going to have to say overrated now, but let’s see how cellaring goes. . .

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Pours deep black, for a belgian at least, and not much head for shelter. The aroma is somewhat odd, some fruity notes, but nothing particularly common. Flavor is just an amazing experience. The alcohol is masked very well at first, but sneeks out slightly later on. The end is just amazing, warming, oily, and a slight hop feel to it.

aaronh (201) - McMurray, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2003
Virtually black beer is actually a deep chestnut color, and it's topped by a tan head. Mild head retention is displayed, as it quickly fades to a thin collar. Virtually no lacing is left on the glass, either. Good raosted malt aromas are coupled with strong fruitiness. Black raspberry coupled with fresh grape jelly. The taste is also dark and fruity with a very solid malt component. Mild bitterness leads to a smooth finish with a hint of anise in the aftertaste. A very nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - OCT 11, 2003
Very dark brown liquid under a lasting tan head. Roasted grain aroma when chilled that dissipates to a spicy, yeasty plum, and sweet grainy malt as it warms. Sweetly malty upon first sip, then alcohol flavor w/a light plum fruitiness and hop flavor that lasts into the aftertaste. There is a yeasty spicyness as well, and fairly well balanced, but far less complex that I would have imagined. Higher carbonation leaves a lighter mouthfeel of the medium body, but the alcohol is a little hot. Not quite burning, but you know it's there. Overall I'm disappointed with this beer. Maybe it's a little young, but this is the first beer I've had from Unibroue that I couldn't drink a lot of right now. To me it lacks depth and complexity that I find in their other beers. Just my opinion of course.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joet (2188) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - OCT 11, 2003
Ooooh so terrible! beautiful black with hefty tan foam wafting up bellicose perfumes, men's cologne, some cheesiness, dark plum, fruit skins, with serious bright and bigness, fully efferevescent as it warms to 63°F. This is so well styled.