overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 1495   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
La Terrible is a dark brown beer on lees and is part of a collection of exotic and refined Unibroue beers brewed using 100% natural raw materials. It may be drunk as an aperitif or as an after dinner digestive. It is equally a perfect accompaniment to the above-mentioned dishes or a pleasant alternative to coffee.

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 12, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2006 Excellent Belgian! Murky yellow/orange color. Beautiful banana fragrance, and a creamy brown head. Tastes like banana, raisons, figs, chocolate and several other things too. Complex flavors that overwhelmed my novice pallet. (In a most excellent way!) I’ll be stockpiling this, and I know it will age and become even better, if that’s possible.

dwyerpg (4528) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - APR 15, 2005
Drinking this in my brand new crystal - a great beer for a great goblet. Looks, smells and tastes fantastic. You can definitely feel the alcohol but you can’t taste it too much. Reminds me of Dogfishhead raison d’etre, just better - a big claim i know. Also reminiscent of barleywine ales. This is probably my favorite beer from my favorite brewery. Top Notch!

SuperTiti33 (493) - Aylmer, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 30, 2013
2010. Brune. Beau collet. Nez: épice. Figue. Caramel. Banane. Levure. Sucre candi. Raisin. Porto. Rhum. Bouche: très sucré. Anis. Chocolat. Fruité. Datte figue. Caramel salé. Madérisé. Cerise. Pain au banane. Bonbon. Un chef d'oeuvre québécois.

Bulldog99 (13) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 6, 2002
I just tried it at this years Mondiale De La Biere in Montreal. It was the beer I was most looking forward to trying and it didn’t disapoint me. The others said it and so will I, blackberries. It’s simply the best beer I’ve ever tasted. I was tempted to give it perfect marks but I always leave room for improvement. I think it will contend for the top spot when more people review it.

49degrees (49) - British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 4, 2003
A stunning beer in the same tradition of Chimay’s Grand Reserve (blue cap), it offers everything that the Belgian classic has with just a darker tone and a more affordable price. BC-LDB currently stocks this at $7.95cdn per 750ml bottle -- and this one is honestly worth every penny. <P> Having tasted my fair share of Belgian styled brews over the past several years, Chimay’s Grand Reserve was and will still remain my current all time favorite, but Unibroue’s latest ’Terrible’ (an Abbey Style) dark brown ale pegged at 10.5% abv is an extremely strong contender that deserves a close look by fellow Belgian styled enthusiasts. New to market, or at least to my eyes, ’Terrible’ is the easy front runner on the Unibroue product schedule suprassing fellow label mates ’Don de Dieu’ and ’La Maudite.’ <P> ’Terrible’ is another exceptional offering from Unibroue that is very drinkable and a great brew to relax with. It’s a multi-purpose beer that works well as an afternoon sipping drink, a hearty addition to a meal, or as a replacement to coffee after a meal with friends or family.

dannyboydwp (48) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - FEB 21, 2004
Malty and spicey. a sweet taste and a good aftertaste. A dark color. A really good beer. I'm a huge fan of Unibroue, and this may be their best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
steelhead3686 (238) - Athens, Ohio, USA - NOV 10, 2010
One of the best and most complete beers I’ve ever had. Smooth all the way through, which is a common boast many beers have but La Terrible really comes through. Beautiful color with not too much head. I had it in a Trappist glass which really allowed the beer to show off all it had. I would suggest this beer to anyone that likes drink beer and stray from the big labels in the states.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Naseth (2) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 9, 2011 does not count
I drank this beer and I got pretty good and plowed. Good beer. When I was drinking it I was like, "This is pretty good." So I drank more. That’s how I got drunk.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
DentonShanks (25) - California, USA - MAY 28, 2012
Ale Brewed with Spice. Bottle Refermented. Dark Ale on Lees. 10.5% 750ml 1pt 9.4 fl oz Unibroue Chambly Québec Canada Great Beer :) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

chimaybier (71) - California, USA - AUG 24, 2012
750 ML bottle purchased at BevMo in redding, CA. THE POUR / APPEARANCE: Pours a very dark brown, almost "stout" dark with a nice tan colored head that collapses somewhat quick. AROMA / BOUQUET: Cherries, cherries, cherries! Has a Godiva / Cacao aroma. TASTE: Cherries / Cacao, beautiful fizzy carbonation on the front and on the back of the tongue. Almost has a bitter Bosco chocolate finish. PALATE: Fills the enitre mouth with a lovely creaminess, cocoa bitterness, and dark cherries all at once. OVERALL: This is a wonderful dessert beer, or one just to assalt the olfactory senses. Praise the Lord Jesus for this one!