overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2347   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
In November 1992 Maudite (the damned one), was the first strong beer to be distributed in Quebec grocery stores. Maudite is a mahogany-colored, rich-tasting premium beer that has a distinctive, complex taste. Because of the warmth it releases, this strong character beer must be served cool but not cold. Perfect with pasta, red meats, stews and spicy dishes, it also makes a good aperitif and after-dinner drink.
Maudite has a typically Quebecois name that is reminiscent of the legend of the Chasse-Galerie (the legend of the Flying Canoe). Legend has it that a group of lumberjacks struck a deal with the devil to fly home in their canoes, guided by Satan himself, to make it home in time for Christmas.
Gold medal winner in 1995 and 1996 and the Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - FEB 10, 2002
I’m somewhere between the concensus rating and ecrvich’s comments here. Smells good, and has many of them. The comparisons to Aventinus or a similar clovey weizenbock are excellent, and this brew’s fruitiness is nice, not overbearing. Yeastiness is nice, but somehow it doesn’t have the body to support fully the initial sweetness and the lingering dryness...it’s, well, watery. Still very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrainBug99 (12) - USA - FEB 6, 2002
A very interesting beer. A slight fruity taste and rather smooth for it’s alchohol content. Flavor is complex. I highly recommend trying this one at least once.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - FEB 5, 2002
Yeah. This is more like it. After a series of disappointing belgian styles tonight I ran into this one and the explosive citrus and spice, lathered through champagne texture, really impressed me. It just tastes fresh and lively, its active yeastiness bringing it alive on in the mouth. Yumm.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DaveZ99 (7) - Burbank, California, USA - FEB 1, 2002 does not count
This Canadian ranks with any of the Belgians in my book. Very smooth and drinkable, but you can still take your time and get some comlexity out of it if you want to. Thank you Albert for nailing it right on the head...Nutmeg! I couldn’t put my finger on it. If this was the only ale I could get, I would be quite content

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 27, 2002
Very enjoyable. Better than some of the other Unibroue beers I have tasted but still not as good as Trio Pistoles.

homebrewer799 (12) - Roslindale, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 21, 2002
If I could bathe in this stuff, I’d drink my own bath water. Also get’s point’s for having Satan on the label. I always try to put Satan on my homebrew labels. What can I say, he’s the man! Strong malty flavor with a very noticable alcohol taste (which I love inb any beer). Very nice hop characteristics as well & some interesting fruity esters. I guarentee this beer is a cornocopia of flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - JAN 18, 2002
this beer reminds me of autumn, the color of changing leaves and apple butter. medium, consistent head. slightly cloudy after adding yeast. aroma is full of apples and burnt fruit (raisins, apricots). tingling mouthfeel, although a little bit thin. quite complex flavor, tart, full of spice, and a touch of astringency. definitely in your face. finish is dry and slightly alcoholic. not perfect, but very enjoyable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 14, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2003 Have you ever in your life seen better labels on beer than those by the Unibroue brewery in Quebec? That being said this is a monstrous beer. Possibly the finest produced in North America and better than many of the beers it is attempting to copy, such as Duvel (Limited).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JAN 6, 2002
Slightly cloudy orangy/brown. Nice white head and lace. Nice ’belgium’spicey nose of apples and maybe cloves?? Taste similar to a Weizenbock, malty, some citric acidity, spicyness.Superb balance. Very smooth and quite drinkable for 8%. Will kick your ass.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Turbotommy (32) - Westlake Village, California, USA - JAN 4, 2002
I was really suprised with this stuff. I randomly pull it out of a cooler at a UCLA football game and said to myself...’What the hell is this shit!?!’ My brothers, friends, and I thought the label was the coolest thing ever. Anyway, when I drank it and was expecting something nasty it turned out to be very good! Most importantly, it was my first beer, so I was in perfect sense. Sadly, I have no idea where I could possibly find more of this stuff.